Twin axle versus tri axle trailers - pros and cons?

Big J

3 minutes ago, agrimog said:

try it round some of the crap thats called roads here in east ayrshire

True enough! The main difference is that the traffic can get severe during summer. Even during winter it's pretty constant. 

7 hours ago, Big J said:

Batesons can do me a 5x1.8m tri axle so that I get the length required for accommodating the machine but it's narrow enough to manoeuvre the tiny Devon lanes. Haven't got a final price yet, though can't see me having that much change from £4000 once specced with LED lights, internal lashing points, drop sides, treadplate floor and ramps. 

The daft thing is that I can pop over to Germany and for £800 more get 5x2m vehicle transporter trailer and a separate 3x1.5m tipper as well. 

Do you have a link for the German company? And personally anything heavy I’d go with tri-axle all day long, If you’ve got a decent tow vehicle there not going to stop you going round corners, there is scrub wich means you have to rotate every now and then as often the fronts seem to take the brunt of it but there so much more forgiving and nicer to tow. And you’ve got another axle to slow you down too.

2 minutes ago, Sheepy said:

Do you have a link for the German company? And personally anything heavy I’d go with tri-axle all day long, If you’ve got a decent tow vehicle there not going to stop you going round corners, there is scrub wich means you have to rotate every now and then as often the fronts seem to take the brunt of it but there so much more forgiving and nicer to tow. And you’ve got another axle to slow you down too.

I've posted a few links through the thread, but this evening's online research has this one looking best:

https://www.ahrens-ullmann.de/epages/61364809.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61364809/Products/TECARP5020S

• Thanks 1

If the Germans are so much cheaper and better it seams like a no brainier to get two. Ifor are definitely going down hill while prices going up. Having said that just got a new trailer below list price within a week from Sheriffs at Coldstream, other quoting list plus £100 and 8 weeks lead time. It’s the depreciation of Ifor that helps, not many things you can run for 10 years, sell and lose £500.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

If the Germans are so much cheaper and better it seams like a no brainier to get two. Ifor are definitely going down hill while prices going up. Having said that just got a new trailer below list price within a week from Sheriffs at Coldstream, other quoting list plus £100 and 8 weeks lead time. It’s the depreciation of Ifor that helps, not many things you can run for 10 years, sell and lose £500.

That is true. I had a 12x5 Ifor from Rutherfords in Earlston many years ago and when I sold it, it more than covered the cost of the new Unsinn trailer from Germany. 

Somewhat pushed for time over the next few months - anyone fancy going to collect them for me in Germany?! 

Is that mini forwarder two tons or about two tons BigJ ?  A bare bones 3.5 ton chassis cab with a pair of skids in the place of the bed may just about accommodate that little rig, it would be a lot less grief than a trailer for maneuvering around tight lanes.

Bob