Transition to self employed (wages etc)

Carl1991

46 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

So there's no point creating professional looking websites and spending time and effort in marketing and PR? :001_tt2::D

Come on Steve, even if the current practitioners don't particularly benefitit it's got to start somewhere. The industry is moving forward at every level dramatically and doesn't deserve the 'paddy and his ladder' view held by a large percentage of the public. Should we give up before we start?

First of all “paddy and his ladder” piss right off Gary

Secondly it’s utter nonsense to say “the large percentage of the public” hold this view.

If your after appreciation become a nurse of a soldier or something, don’t be so needy.

People don’t think of us at all until they need tree work, same as I don’t think about kitchen fitting or prostate exams till the need arises.

There will always be people doing the low skill level work in our job because it’s relatively easy to do, and the general public is happy to avoid paying top dollar for easy work.

And you can’t blame them.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

That hasnt created any better climbers for it though imo

No it hasn't, whats its created is lads doing a few courses and the collages telling them there's big money at the end, I have had collage lads on work experience tell me in 18 months when they finish there level 3 collage has said there going to be on £150 a day!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

First of all “paddy and his ladder” piss right off Gary

Secondly it’s utter nonsense to say “the large percentage of the public” hold this view.

If the public perception of the tree work industry was to be where we would all like it be (along with the associated prices), no member of the public would entertain the travelling members of the industry. The general public have very little perception or knowledge about what we or how we do it. They have a tree that they want removed, for example, yet haven't a scooby about how the contractor is going to do it. They don't know what's good work, safe work (or any of the costs associated) and generally have no prior experience of what it may cost.

I'm not after appreciation, just a pricing level within the industry commensurate with the costs of training and effort involved. It's pointless banging on about about wages when the jobs that cover those wages aren't generally sufficient to increase those wages significantly.

To borrow a tagline from someone else, just my opinion, others may vary.

1 hour ago, Ian C said:

No it hasn't, whats its created is lads doing a few courses and the collages telling them there's big money at the end, I have had collage lads on work experience tell me in 18 months when they finish there level 3 collage has said there going to be on £150 a day!

Thats one thing yes but then its all these threads with people going on about brass that fills their heads with generic crap that doesnt apply to all, too many variables.

Not location specific etc

i think facebook and arbtalk have made this subject worse.

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Do you mean "make clear"?
I know several companies who will charge clients £200+ per day for staff who are paid £80 subbing.
Clear enough?
emoji12.png

Some one has to pay for all the other stuff involved in running a business and it's not just trucks, chippers, fuel, insurance, there are staff doing the work that is not invoiced, they need a wage.. payroll, quoting, accounts, filling in tenders, writing method statements, organising the diary... The teams out their doing the rel work have to bring in enough money to pay for all that..

• Like 2

Bear in mind that the people charging £250 to turn up with a top handle and some string and the people who are happy to pay them that because they know they can put a £3000 tree on the floor with it aren't likely to be posting in these threads. They're probably on their yachts being attended to by gaggles of buxom chiropractors. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2