Things you don't want to find on the Job.

sime42

12 hours ago, sime42 said:

So I've this afternoon been strimming down a much overgrown lawn for a customer. It was going well, despite the miserable drizzle, until bang; I realise that I've strimmed right through a pile of dog sh*t! It took a second or so to react so the pile was pretty much sprayed everywhere. Including me no doubt. It's hard to tell given how much debris is spattered up anyway when strimming, but hopefully not too much went in my face. Rank!

It happened one more time during the job but not so bad the second time as I was primed to find more by then. Not much you can do to avoid it when the grass is 6 - 12 in high as far as I can think. If there was too much then I'd refuse to do the job.

I can't of much else worse to find doing this particular job, except cat sh*t!

Anyway this got me thinking;- what is the worst thing others have found or are afraid to find?

I'm starting with grass cutting since that's what triggered this but I'm expecting to hear about

Tree work as well. (Sh*t of any type comes high on my list when I'm working on a tree as well. If unseen it rapidly moves from boots to tree to ropes to hands and everywhere!).

Dog shit is high on my list as well.

I remember with horror a job I did a few years ago clearing pines along a walkway. The amount of dog shit I hit with my chainsaw on that job...

Using a brushcutter was not an option as the trees were too big and had to be cut with a chainsaw, so I had to kneel down in the ditch to cut them. Bags of shit had been thrown into and around the trees and was concealed by the snow until I hit them with the saw. To make matters worse it was bloody cold and the heater in my truck didn't work..

Dog shit, nappies, tampons, condoms, piss bottles, needles, all the usual.

One of the most unusual though was half a cucumber in a pair of ladies tights and a bottle of ky jelly at the side.

We have an infamous tale of finding a 'brown carrot' whilst cutting a 'popular' layby.
  • Haha 1

Clearing a big beech that had gone over and opened up the cespit ..later in the day mate decided to let his OAP terrier out ...20 mins later couldnt find the dog and yes she was in there just about treading shit......got his rope and harness and in he went ......never laughed so much ...what a mess

Working in a garden near an old airfield locally I managed to put the stump grinder through a load of live .50 Cal ammunition! Thankfully I must have missed the primers and it didn't go bang!O.o

I also found a hedgehog in a large shrub base - well the skin anyway, not sure where the rest went!:(

Numerous pipes and the odd live armoured cable that should have been buried much lower than it was!

SG