Things you don't want to find on the Job.

sime42

Doing a garden rubbish clearance years ago, it became apparent that the family who lived there would just launch dirty nappies straight out of the back door into the garden.
It got worse further in when we found a carrier bag with a litter of dead puppies, think they’d been drowned.
Filth.

must've had sooner bloody good money not to have walked from that one.

I used to help my mate out with his drain clearance business when I was a teenager, suffice it to say that sh*t was in plentiful supply in that job. One of the time-served guys on the gang would stick his bare hand into a sh*t-filled drain to grab the blockage if needed, screw that for a lark.

Not a problem for me personally, but I particularly remember doing one job on a posh estate north of Macclesfield, the houses had been built a few months at a guess. The plastic drains had been laid in gravel-bottomed trenches with a chunk of brick about every 6 feet. Unsurprisingly, even before the trenches had been back filled, the pipes were sagging and getting blocked.

We jetted the drain out and got it flowing, at which point the Cheshire housewife came out of her house and wandered over for a look at the manhole just where the foul from her house joined the main.

She was just in time to see a huge 'Richard' sail down the pipe. Let's just say the look on her face was priceless! Evidently, Cheshire housewives don't think they have all the same functions as the rest of us...

must've had sooner bloody good money not to have walked from that one.

It was just about worth it, if I remember right they even offered us a cup of tea.
“Er... nah you’re ok thanks”

I recon Eggs would have seen (and smelt) some sights in his line of work..,

I don't mind human waste too much, I have rodded plenty of drains and poked round in many septic tanks.

Dog poo is much worse.

And hitting wildlife with a strimmer is never nice :(

I always wear a helmet with full face plastic visor when strimming.

I don't mind human waste too much, I have rodded plenty of drains and poked round in many septic tanks.

Dog poo is much worse.

And hitting wildlife with a strimmer is never nice [emoji20]

I always wear a helmet with full face plastic visor when strimming.

Thinking on it caught a mouse last week (at least I think it was) only just caught the edge of it so no massive splatter just a dead mouse thankfully

Worst site I've been on was doing a large poplar dismantle in the garden of a large posh new house.
When we got to the job the garden was covered in snow.
The lady said she was going to pick up the dog mess before we got there in the morning but couldn't as there was 3 inches or so of snow on the ground. We said 'not to worry' and thought we might only find one or two frozen ones.
She had two black labs and they must've been sh****g out there for a week.
We had two climbers up and a rigging rope which got covered and four groundies walking around dragging brush through piles of it in the melting snow. It got everywhere

Dead rabbit hit with a mulching blade on a strimming job left an interesting smell in the air.
Plenty of dog shit, a few sharps over the years.
Working for the MOD on the Moor top training grounds you actually get briefed on what to do if you find human remains as it's believed that when several missing persons have been put, luckily not found any yet and hopefully never will!

1 minute ago, Gray git said:

if you find human remains as it's believed that when several missing persons have been put, luckily not found any yet and hopefully never will!

Unless they're whole, you'd be lucky to even realise what you'd seen. I did several DB/remains searches in my mountain rescue days (training exercises and for real) and no-one ever found the planted body part items or identified them as such.

It's surprising how often dog walkers found bodies compared to the MRT I was in:$

• Like 1