Whats your multione loader doing today ?

digaholedumper

Thanks Mick, will look into the tyre loading. You take the other rougher tyres on lawns? How do they fair? I went through some mud in the grass tyres and pulled through fine. Just thinking of best option.

I am not convinced about the rotor grab, would have been better with a heel though. That's what the Vermeer one has too. I like how this grab kept the wood away from the machine more.

7t iveco in the picture so had loads of spare capacity and just over 2t in the trailer 3.5t trailer. I don't run a useless 3.5t transit ;-)

Where did you take your 7.5t driving course mate? Looking around to get the best price

8 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

:thumbup1: Same here, great to see the attachments and applications others are using the machines for!

The auger question..  To complement the versatility of the machine, I went for the black splitter https://www.blacksplitter.de/englisch/. available in UK from http://www.exac-one.co.uk/Products/Timber_Splitter/Black_Splitter/index.html  (and they are familiar with adaptions for MO)

The rotator head allows for interchangable attachments - riddling drum, wire brush, cone splitter, auger heads of varying sizes, stump planer....  I've got the first 3 on the list and pretty impressed by the performance (I'm a bit less enthusiastic about the riddling drum which needs dry soil other wise it clogs terrible) Hoping to get sorted with the stump planer and some auger heads when time / need arises.

It may be a bit more expensive than a stand alone auger initially, but the interchangeability of the heads makes it really adaptable and a saving can be made over the combined cost of individual units..... 

That's really interesting thank you. I'll look into that as I've not come across them before. 

Cheers Jim 

8 hours ago, chopper brown said:

That's really interesting thank you. I'll look into that as I've not come across them before. 

Cheers Jim 

:thumbup1:  Type 'Black Splitter' into Youtube!  Here's a good general PR vid: 

and here's the stump planer:  

and the wire brush (1 lesson learnt from using this; it's useful, but would be better if it was slung out to the side rather than on the centre line so I have to make up an off-set bracket so that I can get to the edge of paths without running the wheels of the machine up the verge (hope that makes sense)):

and off on a tangent, a selection of attachments brought into use on a single job (the vid is a bit cheesy because it was made for the customer / parish mag) but it shows how a simple tree job can be upscaled into something much more comprehensive:

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1

I haven't used the cone splitter a great deal Beau, useful for splitting billets and really gnarly stuff when sitting in the cab with the heater on and a coffee is more appealing that slugging away with the splitter.  The significant benefit is that the 'bolt on' options are pennies really so it's the head unit that is useful and you don't loose your shirt if the bolt on attachment doesn't live up to expectation. 

For me, that which kind of sums up the appeal of the MO (and attachments like the BS rotator head) is that they are 'pretty good' at a lot of things rather than brilliant at 1.  Not AS GOOD as any single purpose machine designed specifically for 1 job, but good enough at many jobs to be worthy of consideration.  The wire brush is a good example, a purpose designed brush attachment has hydraulic swing out to the side, raise / lower etc - but it comes with an obvious financial cost, it needs storage space and you have to consider your transport options - plus it does 1 job really well.  If I fab up a side load bracket I can achieve most of what a purpose designed attachment would do at a fraction of the cost.   

On 09/12/2017 at 15:09, Mick Dempsey said:

This shows better how a knockabout is used, you think these guys couldn’t afford a rotator?

Wouldn't it be nice to work in an environment where you had;

a) that much space to work

b) lawns that weren't so sodden ten months of the year that you need ground protection even to walk on. (ok, 10 months may be an exaggeration)

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

:thumbup1:  Type 'Black Splitter' into Youtube!  Here's a good general PR vid: 

and here's the stump planer:  

and the wire brush (1 lesson learnt from using this; it's useful, but would be better if it was slung out to the side rather than on the centre line so I have to make up an off-set bracket so that I can get to the edge of paths without running the wheels of the machine up the verge (hope that makes sense)):

and off on a tangent, a selection of attachments brought into use on a single job (the vid is a bit cheesy because it was made for the customer / parish mag) but it shows how a simple tree job can be upscaled into something much more comprehensive:

Great videos!

Though I have to say, I am struggling to see how that 'free fall' shear is as useful as the 'grab' type?  You would have to change the attachment to pick anything up...Though the rotating element is cool and i'm sure the cutting power is immense...

31 minutes ago, Domino said:

Great videos!

Though I have to say, I am struggling to see how that 'free fall' shear is as useful as the 'grab' type?  You would have to change the attachment to pick anything up...Though the rotating element is cool and i'm sure the cutting power is immense...

The choice was a very considered one.  

Cut and grab has the potential to transfer high lever loads to a relatively small machine with narrow wheel base giving rise to the very real potential for toppling it over - not good, plus it's heavier.  Fine on a big swing shovel but not on the smaller MO (just my view.). Plus, it restricts you to cutting out trees that stand vertical only.  The restrictions of having a fixed plane cutting head are far greater than the advantages of the rotator.  

Cut and release provides the advantage, through the rotator, of a degree of directional felling capability but most importantly, allows for cuts from the vertical right through to the horizontal plane - an obvious benefit if doing hedge reductions or the first cuts of lower crown pruning etc.

It is perfectly possible to cut and let fall, then pick up and transport using the shear, or fell, cut to length and stack so as to come back with forks or grab and lift a load for transport.  

I guess it depends upon the scope of the majority of the work the unit is required for - for me, cut and hold was the poor relation on all counts.

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 11.22.59.png