Topping conifers

Harry_L

Doing a coni hedge re-reduction taking 15ft off to leave 20ft high hedge, great fun spent 3 days sat on top already, got another 3 to do. 3 on ground clearing up. luckily can just fell them off one side, top handle work and pole saw work

Did that for years, then it literally becomes undoable, at least without a MEWP, and then felled them.
The clients are delighted with the extra 40' of garden they've got.
It's shite tree work, perpetuated by firms who are shite at tree work.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I recently reduced by a little over 50% a laylandii hedge I did pretty much the same to 15 years ago. If I'd felled it back then I would not have been able to charge £600+VAT for the day my son and I spent reducing it.

I'm so pleased.

I bet it looks great and the work was enjoyable.

You're better than that Huck.

Anyone leaving a 'hedge' for 15 years needn't come to me expecting 'hundred' to be in the quote.

I'm so pleased.
I bet it looks great and the work was enjoyable.

You're better than that Huck.

Anyone leaving a 'hedge' for 15 years needn't come to me expecting 'hundred' to be in the quote.

I'll bet it looks shit and the experience was no better. I bet spending the £600 was easier though.

Any decent arborist is wasted on conny topping. Easy money though. Bit like a good chef refusing to make a sandwich.

8 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I'll bet it looks shit and the experience was no better. I bet spending the £600 was easier though.

Any decent arborist is wasted on conny topping. Easy money though. Bit like a good chef refusing to make a sandwich.

No it looked pretty good actually.  

Following my old cuts made life pretty easy. I hate have to follow numpty's that can't cut flat and level or leave crap in the top of the hedge.

2 hours ago, Harry_L said:

5e49f386eae1e97707704bb70d51020b.jpg
So not sure what this but was wondering how you could reduce it, i was thinking taking a couple of feet off of the top then trimming the sides? Thoughts,comments?

Cheers emoji106.png

8ft off the top 4-6 inches off the sides and try  and shape it in at the top. but it looks like it has a problem already with dead bits on the side 

5 minutes ago, daveatdave said:

8ft off the top 4-6 inches off the sides and try  and shape it in at the top. but it looks like it has a problem already with dead bits on the side 

Fell it to 6ft and chainsaw carve them a pissing cherub or something. Or just fell it and never come back, selflessly sacrifice your reputation to save the feelings of the elitist Arborists who think certain trees are beneath them :ph34r:

20 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Did that for years, then it literally becomes undoable, at least without a MEWP, and then felled them.
The clients are delighted with the extra 40' of garden they've got.
It's shite tree work, perpetuated by firms who are shite at tree work.

Just as well it's not my job then as I am only freelance on this job. Its for a garden centre they should know better