Glastonbury 2017

Mick Dempsey

13 minutes ago, pleasant said:

You would be forgiven for thinking this Glastonbury woke fest was organised and sponsored by the BBC

I prefer to think of it as some kind of weird, black mass sponsored by the practitioners themselves.

1 hour ago, pleasant said:

Watched Guns N Roses (think it was last night? on the BBC) and that Axel Rose just cannot sing anymore.

Googled afterward thinking it was just me, but quite a lot going on about it and apparently he's ruined his vocal cords- had to cancel some of the tour earlier on this year

I really enjoyed GnR. Was a whirlwind 3 hours of nostalgia. I think he was far better than the few moaning mini armchair warriors give him credit for. It’s easy to google search for your own echo chamber. I did the same and everyone said he was amazing. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I really enjoyed GnR. Was a whirlwind 3 hours of nostalgia. I think he was far better than the few moaning mini armchair warriors give him credit for. It’s easy to google search for your own echo chamber. I did the same and everyone said he was amazing. 🤷‍♂️

Big Moon my favourite so far but I'm not watching more than a fraction.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Why can't people step aside and let the youngsters shine through? They cannot desire money and it becomes jaded fame.

Step aside? Don’t you think the organisers are actively selecting bands based on their crowd pull? With about 3000 bands appearing this year folks can vote with their feet. 

With this being the second  Glasto since “lockdown” perhaps folks still fancy a “sing along” to the greats before they pop their clogs? 

Just now, openspaceman said:

Big Moon my favourite so far but I'm not watching more than a fraction.

It’s quite an odd experience for me to sit at home and enjoy watching the show instead of being there. And when I say “be there” I mean T in the Park. I hardly missed a year til I moved to Norway and caught all the Kinross events. I was baffled thinking that folks were at home “watching” the same bands I was “experiencing”. 

Getting old I guess? 

1 minute ago, openspaceman said:

I doubt I will see many of them, I'll wait for suggestions

I’m a bit pissed Elton is on at the same time as QOTSA. :/ I’ve been out voted and its Elton, but since I’ve had every song of his imprinted on my subconscious I can sing along to all the songs. 

T in the park. Reminds me of the stereophonics headlining Saturday night. I was at the back somewhere and my mate had headed off to get closer. What a buzz, crowd was alive when they finished the last song, I watched on the screen as Kelly Jones played the last chord, took off the guitar and smashed it front of stage, the body fell in two and he was left holding part of the neck which he launched into the crowd. I looked at the screen as the camera followed it in flight and as it came down amongst people I could see my mate right in the mix. Yes I thought, grab it! He just stood there, smashed and looking particularly thick.

Was gutted.

Few nights later I saw an interview with the band and Jones said he really regretted doing it. Thought not half as much as I regretted not going up front with my mate.

All I've seen of Glastonbury this year was Manic Street Preachers who were okay, seen them be a lot better.

• Like 1

I thought GNR were mega! Proper rockers who’ve lived the life still smashing it - Slash was another level and Axl (as weird looking as he is now) has still got the shrieking snarl and the delivery! Who gives a shit if he’s not pitch-perfect on some of it - those songs wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for him and I’d rather see him delivering them than not. 

• Like 2