Staff issues

simonm

No worries mate. I can only speak of my own experiences.

I think being south of the country may have some bearing on it. I also think the main factor in this is working for people whose attitude goes along the lines off..

"I wouldn't want to work weekend/nights/awkward start times without being compensated for it and neither should the guys who work for me."

These companies tend to have been running for a fair while, good stream of domestic and commercial clients and they are not low ballers. They charge for the skills, experience and machinery required.

It goes back to the old adage of you choosing your customers as opposed to the customers choosing you. Easier said than done, but many successful firms have achieved this through strategic marketing, word of mouth or just pure luck. For example working on private housing estates. Affluent people with money as opposed to working on council estates and run down areas.

A question for those that sub to railways or utility networks... If the allowed slot for work is out of usual working hours do they charge more? What about bank holidays? Working a christmas day shift etc... even a factory would offer you a better than standard rate.

Why should our industry be any different? It is IMO because people are worried about losing the job/client to a cheaper firm. Are these really the valued customer you strive for as you grow your business?

I used to work a fair few Saturdays but these days I prefer to spend the time with my kids or friends.

If it isn't time and a half, even an extra 20 quid on the day rate would differentiate the weekend from a regular working day.

Imo it's because too many people don't treat this industry as a proper business. A hell of a lot just look at the short term of that job is my wages and it's going in my back pocket. If you can't charge more money for weekend or night work, or you have to do it at a standard rate then you should really take a long hard look at your business as it isn't working.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo it's because too many people don't treat this industry as a proper business. A hell of a lot just look at the short term of that job is my wages and it's going in my back pocket. If you can't charge more money for weekend or night work, or you have to do it at a standard rate then you should really take a long hard look at your business as it isn't working.

To often I feel like many run their business as a hobby and never actually sit down and work out the what it actually costs to do the job and the profit margins required to grow.

It saddens me as I love this job and this industry but at the end of the day I work to live not live to work.

I do feel that things are changing, problem is we are so diverse.

Yet another "people aren't charging enough" thread.

People can charge what they like. Same as in any service industry.

Maybe, just maybe, some companies are not charging enough.

But I do believe that a lot of people do this job as a lifestyle rather than running a company as a viable business.

As you say so Mick, people can charge what they want.

Same as in life really. Some people are content in life driving a Mazda, others want a Maserati.

Yet another "people aren't charging enough" thread.

People can charge what they like. Same as in any service industry.

Hmmm don't want to be rude Mick but that's stupid, I could charge £50 quid a day and I would probably get asked to fill skips and never be short of work, I doubt I could afford my rent/mortgage on that for long though.

As a buisiness we could charge £300 for a 2 man team but it would be financial suicide, and I am sure you appreciate that Mick.

I know these threads are repetitive so don't get me wrong I do alright but I don't like to talk about how comfortable my lifestyle is or my financial situation or how well as a business we are doing, I want to see others do better for themselves and this industry's and hopefully see threads/posts like this less often.

The way I look at it if my competition earns more so do I and so does everyone else.

Quite so Rich.

I knew a guy back in the U.K.

Ran a 4wd and trailer, low level garden trees, capable enough climber, made a living, paid his mortgage, fed his family, happy enough.

Probably undercut the big(ger) boys on the Mrs Miggin's birch jobs.

If you'd told him he was devaluing the industry, cutting his own throat etc. He'd have shrugged his shoulders and got on with paying the bills, as he should.

Quite so Rich.

I knew a guy back in the U.K.

Ran a 4wd and trailer, low level garden trees, capable enough climber, made a living, paid his mortgage, fed his family, happy enough.

Probably undercut the big(ger) boys on the Mrs Miggin's birch jobs.

If you'd told him he was devaluing the industry, cutting his own throat etc. He'd have shrugged his shoulders and got on with paying the bills, as he should.

It does make me wonder if the ones who complain about being undercut are the ones struggling?

Besides it's no good having a rate of £500 (pick a number) and being sat at home as it's too expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hmmm don't want to be rude Mick but that's stupid, I could charge £50 quid a day and I would probably get asked to fill skips and never be short of work, I doubt I could afford my rent/mortgage on that for long though.

As a buisiness we could charge £300 for a 2 man team but it would be financial suicide, and I am sure you appreciate that Mick.

I know these threads are repetitive so don't get me wrong I do alright but I don't like to talk about how comfortable my lifestyle is or my financial situation or how well as a business we are doing, I want to see others do better for themselves and this industry's and hopefully see threads/posts like this less often.

The way I look at it if my competition earns more so do I and so does everyone else.

Are you an employer or a employee Marc?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app