Workplace Pension

simonm

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think we have sorted the OPs pension question and also think that in discussing pensions, most people are going from working straight in to an old peoples home.

Well....hopefully it doesn't work like that! Pensions are also there so that you can: -

1) Stop working before your retirement age

2) Enjoy the period from when you leave work and the period where bits fall off and you loose your marbles!

The bigger the pension pot, the longer you can enjoy that bit between being relatively fit and healthy to going in to one of those dreaded homes and eating slop!

The biggest issues are house prices, job market and low wages. Things have changed in this country and it isn't like it was when I started work (dark ages:001_rolleyes:), Kids can just about afford a house leaving little for a pension - it is a time bomb!!!

Good post. Also, if your self employed or run your own business (company director), then a pension can be very good at reducing your tax. Can't see anything wrong in putting £8 into a pension and it instantly turns into £10.

I run my own personal pension as a SIPP, where you can invest your pension in funds, individual shares, even commercial property.

Its bollocks! if you want something you go and earn it! you don't sit on your arse waiting for hand me outs! too many folk living beyond their means then ending up with nowt!

Ive had a pension since i was 16 and have always put savings away. because i have a decent business that has being built up through my own hard work determination and a lot of sacrifice its ok for me to financially support others in their old age? what a piss poor country we are slowly becoming.

If i was an employee of yours reading this post i would be extremely angry. If you have a successful business then i would assume you couldn't of done it without hard working employees? Yet it appears that they are worthless to you and should try and make a go of it on their own so you are not "financially supporting" them.

Its bollocks! if you want something you go and earn it! you don't sit on your arse waiting for hand me outs! too many folk living beyond their means then ending up with nowt!

Ive had a pension since i was 16 and have always put savings away. because i have a decent business that has being built up through my own hard work determination and a lot of sacrifice its ok for me to financially support others in their old age? what a piss poor country we are slowly becoming.

It's called Society, you can't just keep all your money, you have a good business, well done you, but don't forget the roads you drive on, the police who stop you being attacked by bands of thieves, and prevent you being extorted by gangsters, the nurses and doctors who delivered your children and look after you and yours when you're ill. They deserve pensions surely?

You want to see the return of workhouses? That'll learn 'em!

No one "likes" paying but it's the price you pay for living in a civilised, well governed, affluent country like most in Western Europe where the less able or fortunate (or even lazy) don't die in the streets.

Course the thing is nobody puts a gun to your head and forces anyone to employ anyone. If the burdens of being an employer are too onerous, one is free to downsize and be a one-man-band. That is, unless ones lifestyle has grown beyond the means on a single income - but that's a choice too. All comes down to personal responsibility no? If it's worth it it's worth it, if it's not it's not....

If i was an employee of yours reading this post i would be extremely angry. If you have a successful business then i would assume you couldn't of done it without hard working employees? Yet it appears that they are worthless to you and should try and make a go of it on their own so you are not "financially supporting" them.

I have struggled to find good staff for 7 years now, most have **** on me somewhere down the line, heared every excuse in the book as to why the didnt turn up! its successful because when everyone else has gone down the pub or on holiday i am still working, or when others have a day off i go out quoting. I put everything back in to invest in new machinery that is just starting to pay off and made a lot of sacrifices. Sick of lads starting out doing tree work then 6 months down the line deciding its not for them and leaving. I think maybe if i could drop on decent lads i wouldnt begrudge paying them a pension, but as a small firm who pays more than fair wages, 5 weeks paid holidays & bank holidays as well as working on job and knock basis how can the government force me to offer a pension to folk who are more than capable of sorting their own future out :sneaky2:

It's called Society, you can't just keep all your money, you have a good business, well done you, but don't forget the roads you drive on, the police who stop you being attacked by bands of thieves, and prevent you being extorted by gangsters, the nurses and doctors who delivered your children and look after you and yours when you're ill. They deserve pensions surely?

No one "likes" paying but it's the price you pay for living in a civilised, well governed, affluent country like most in Western Europe where the less able or fortunate (or even lazy) don't die in the streets.[/quote

Are people not capable of sorting their own finances and future out? maybe we should all jack in because somebody else will be there to pick up the pieces :laugh1:

No one "likes" paying but it's the price you pay for living in a civilised, well governed, affluent country like most in Western Europe where the less able or fortunate (or even lazy) don't die in the streets.[/quote

Are people not capable of sorting their own finances and future out? maybe we should all jack in because somebody else will be there to pick up the pieces :laugh1:

I can see both sides, one where the business owner treats this as another constraint and expense that the Government put on private business but the other being that the average person on the street is a complete cock who would rather bugger off to Spain for a week than make a contribution to their pension.

The only way to force the average person on the street to have a pension is to make sure it is part of being employed.

The BIG issue is that if people don't change their attitudes, in a few years, people will be facing retirement with NOTHING to pay for it. The days of people looking after their old age are unfortunately broken through lack of funds, ignorance and living for today!

I understand where you are - worked 65hr weeks 7 days a week when I was late teens and through the my 20s.....whilst my colleagues buggered off home!!

Course the thing is nobody puts a gun to your head and forces anyone to employ anyone. If the burdens of being an employer are too onerous, one is free to downsize and be a one-man-band. That is, unless ones lifestyle has grown beyond the means on a single income - but that's a choice too. All comes down to personal responsibility no? If it's worth it it's worth it, if it's not it's not....

hey we both know a shower of ##### who get paid to sit on their asses be missing from work for several days, get several pensions, travel the world

pay increases without asking. certain TD's and politicians.