Full chisel sharpening.

Mick Dempsey

Hi Mark, I popped in and he told me that they buy it in the boxes from Stihl already cut to length. He said to use an ordinary round file, is that right? (Chain cost €18 ex vat)

As for the cutting, very nice indeed, very fast, doing a series of oak and acacia takedowns ATM so got the last loop they had in stock.

What's this black art about sharpening these chains? If I'm honest I'd give myself a solid 7/10 with a file, I'll give it a go, but if it's a balls up at that price I'd throw one of these chains on for a couple of days if I had some bigger stuff to TD then bin it.

Try here for cheap stihl chains http://www.werkzeuge-motorgeraete.de/saegeketten.php?products_id=471

PS3 chain for 40 cm bar about 12,-€ including vat.

Postage to 🇫🇷 17,-€

Yep I remember when it came out . I still had a 200t then and tried it on that . In fact I only use full chiz on everything . I like the Stihl chain and have been using it on my Huskys on and off over the years when I can get it in .058" . Mostely from U.S.

I run stihl chains on all my huskys other than 540 it's just a better quality chain I feel

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Hi Mark, I popped in and he told me that they buy it in the boxes from Stihl already cut to length. He said to use an ordinary round file, is that right? (Chain cost €18 ex vat)

As for the cutting, very nice indeed, very fast, doing a series of oak and acacia takedowns ATM so got the last loop they had in stock.

What's this black art about sharpening these chains? If I'm honest I'd give myself a solid 7/10 with a file, I'll give it a go, but if it's a balls up at that price I'd throw one of these chains on for a couple of days if I had some bigger stuff to TD then bin it.

I think there has been a bit of confusion going on. On your very first pic I thought the bottom chain was the new one (it does makes sense now I have looked through the thread again) Must just be dodgy camera angles as the bottom chain looks like it has been filed square.

So yes, a standard round 4mm file will do the job. fine.

Just dont press down too hard which increase the hook on the chain and try not to drag the file backwards along the tooth on the return stroke. If you do you can knock the sharp pointed corner down a bit which can make a big difference to performance. Oh I you might find you need to take the depth gauge's down more often (well thats what I found when I used that chain although I am bad for forgetting to do the rakers!)

Very strange thread this :confused1:

I see no square ground chains, they both have round gullets.

I really like the full chisel 020 chain, I've been asking my deal for just such a chain for years.

But I find I seldom get more than half way through a chain before the snap:thumbdown:

So I'm back on semi-chisel.

Dave I think it is a terminology thing... gullet to me is the bottom of the gap between the tooth and the depth gauge.

If you look at the face of the cutter it has two planes to it whereas the other is a single plane in with a round grind.