Full chisel sharpening.

Mick Dempsey

Look at the first pic stubby bottom right..

I can see they are different but they both look full chisel ( pointed working corner ) one is square ground and the other round ground . Neither are semi chisel ( rounded cutting working corner ) .

Ah yes . The rolled top plate edge . Thank you :biggrin:

When you said " bottom right " that cutter never showed up on my screen . If I drag the pic across its there . Doh .

Edited by Stubby

The stihl chisel is good though I tend not to use any thing else if I can help it on the toppers, Rumours say they had to bring it out for the 201 when it was first released to try and pep its cutting speed up, I like to believe that one !

The stihl chisel is good though I tend not to use any thing else if I can help it on the toppers, Rumours say they had to bring it out for the 201 when it was first released to try and pep its cutting speed up, I like to believe that one !

Yep I remember when it came out . I still had a 200t then and tried it on that . In fact I only use full chiz on everything . I like the Stihl chain and have been using it on my Huskys on and off over the years when I can get it in .058" . Mostely from U.S.

Edited by Stubby

Take a look at the bottom right of the main pic..you can see the back view of the semi chisel chain...hard to tell from the centre views of the chain isn't it . If you sharpen your chains with a grinder rather than a file then the bottom chain is just closer to the profile you end up getting from most normal chains you buy. Sq ground off the peg chain is not something i have seen offered .

That will teach me to look properly in the future! Yes you are right on that one. :001_smile:

It is interesting though as I presume it is something your local dealer is doing to the chains as I wouldnt have thought Stihl were doing that?

So, the top chain is the 3616 full chisel and the bottom chain is the 3636 semi chisel square ground? Doesnt look like 3636 in the other pic though, the cutter looks taller.

That will teach me to look properly in the future! Yes you are right on that one. :001_smile:

It is interesting though as I presume it is something your local dealer is doing to the chains as I wouldnt have thought Stihl were doing that?

So, the top chain is the 3616 full chisel and the bottom chain is the 3636 semi chisel square ground? Doesnt look like 3636 in the other pic though, the cutter looks taller.

Thanks for chipping back in Mark, I'm guessing they're making the loops themselves, I will ask though.

Trust me, they're the same two chains in all the pictures.

No problem. Im interested to hear how you get on with the chain. Good job sawchip pointed my mistake out as I would have confused matters further.:blushing:

Now that Everton have been tonked I bet you have nothing better to do on a Sunday night than pop down to your workshop and take a few more pics:thumbup1: :laugh1: I'm going to do a bit more research tomorrow (that square ground chain looks too different) and look forward to hearing what your saw shop bloke has to say.

I do prefer a full chisel chain all the time but I do like the other stihl full chisel chain, the 3617 as it didnt need the depth gauges taking down all the time.

Hi Mark, I popped in and he told me that they buy it in the boxes from Stihl already cut to length. He said to use an ordinary round file, is that right? (Chain cost €18 ex vat)

As for the cutting, very nice indeed, very fast, doing a series of oak and acacia takedowns ATM so got the last loop they had in stock.

What's this black art about sharpening these chains? If I'm honest I'd give myself a solid 7/10 with a file, I'll give it a go, but if it's a balls up at that price I'd throw one of these chains on for a couple of days if I had some bigger stuff to TD then bin it.

Hi Mark, I popped in and he told me that they buy it in the boxes from Stihl already cut to length. He said to use an ordinary round file, is that right? (Chain cost €18 ex vat)

As for the cutting, very nice indeed, very fast, doing a series of oak and acacia takedowns ATM so got the last loop they had in stock.

What's this black art about sharpening these chains? If I'm honest I'd give myself a solid 7/10 with a file, I'll give it a go, but if it's a balls up at that price I'd throw one of these chains on for a couple of days if I had some bigger stuff to TD then bin it.

The only possible " black art " could be if you wanted to sharpen square ground chain with the correct file ( its not round but trapezoidal in section ) . You file from the outside edge inward , the opposite to using a round file . As I said earlier you can file square ground chain with a round file it just becomes " round ground " if you do . Not a problem .