Depression

eggsarascal

Do you suffer in the winter through lack of sun?

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Round here its not just through the winter :sad:

Sorry just trying to lighten the mood :001_smile:

My mother and brother both suffer to differing degreases with SAD (seasonal affected disorder) my mum used to use a very bright light, that opened like book, she put it on the kitchen surface in a morning, she found it helped.

I found I suffer from low moods swings it's lack of sun in January and February, on a lighter note I've tried at night watching comedy films and drinking coco , don't laugh! It all helps, breathing routine if I get the niggles also helps.been more productive in my shooting which is my hobby . I need a change in career.

I found I suffer from low moods swings it's lack of sun in January and February, on a lighter note I've tried at night watching comedy films and drinking coco , don't laugh! It all helps, breathing routine if I get the niggles also helps.been more productive in my shooting which is my hobby . I need a change in career.

Look at red light therapy and salt lamps or if your vain get a sunbed

• 3 years later...

I ought to raise my head above the parapet on this one. 

I've always suffered from depression. Really as long as I can remember. Anyone who knows me well will testify to the fact that I swing between highs and lows. It just seems to be the way my brain is programmed. 

The main thing to exacerbate it is the weather. It sounds daft, but when you spend your life outside, doing a job for which the weather is a huge part, then it can affect your mood. I say weather, but in all honesty, it's just the rain. 

Devon seems to have two seasons. The dry season and the wet season. Last winter almost broke me with 6.5 months of continuous rain. Here in Cullompton, I measured 1.4m of rain in that time period. Some of the places we work (like Exmoor) see a magnitude more than that. It makes what would otherwise we a straightforward job turn in a daily grind. The prospect of getting out of the house in the dark to spend your whole day battling tidal waves of mud sucks all the joy out of life.

I don't really know how to address the issue - the West Country is incredibly wet. You either change jobs or change location. The second option is being considered. 

I just wish I had more motivation to trudge on through the mud but it really is soul-sucking. 

Beyond that, I try to keep a positive outlook in other aspects of life but that is getting increasingly difficult. The prospect of grinding through another 5 months of winter/wet season feels like a bit of a prison sentence. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Khriss said:

@Big J  too common - and why I left Scotland , possibly try regular breaks , a friend just shoots off fr mini breaks all the time ( she is a teacher in a gang area of London ) just to change her mindset . K

I'm quite a homely type as it is. I derive enjoyment mostly from my day to day being good, rather than looking forward to trips away and such like. 

I would never have thought it, but Scotland (for all it's crappy weather) actually sees less rain than we have here.

8 minutes ago, Andrew McEwan said:

Are you able to head into East Devon,Dorset J? big difference I've found from Dartmoor and surrounding mud levels 

I did work near Chard last winter and that was the very worst place. The green sand there is something else.