Rats!!!!!

Logged On

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a gentlemans agreement with a farmer and my part of it is to control rats around the grain stores. I have seldom known such a bad year for rats, as fast as I clear 1 lot up, another large gang move in, so I have had to maintain a constant battle to kept them in check.

And they're getting bigger, I shovelled one up the other day about the size of a small jack Russell.

Hope the Falcon's getting a work-out. :001_smile:

I use an air rifle for dispatching squirrels in live traps. To be honest it's harder than it sounds, you have to put the barrel in and then wait for the animal to put its head under the barrel.

I found the easy way to kill them is shotgun from twenty yards. At that range the trap isn't damaged. Obviously not an ideal solution in a garden.

As Mark B said, I'm looking for options to dispatch rats caught in a live catch trap. I know what you mean about being harder than it sounds with an air rifle. I have a HW100 Kt but i don't want the Mrs messing with it. I also don't like the float test option!

I have two barn cats, they do a good job on mice but they aint interested in big rats that fight back!

Thinking about it either the .410 or 9mm garden gun sounds like the best option. Wifey has her shotgun certificate so not a problem! Another excuse to take the wallet to the gun shop!! :thumbup1:

As Mark B said, I'm looking for options to dispatch rats caught in a live catch trap. I know what you mean about being harder than it sounds with an air rifle. I have a HW100 Kt but i don't want the Mrs messing with it. I also don't like the float test option!

I have two barn cats, they do a good job on mice but they aint interested in big rats that fight back!

Thinking about it either the .410 or 9mm garden gun sounds like the best option. Wifey has her shotgun certificate so not a problem! Another excuse to take the wallet to the gun shop!! :thumbup1:

I have both a .410 and a 9mm. If it's just for dispatching rats in a trap then the 9mm will be ideal - they put out about 100ftlb at the muzzle and are no louder than an unmoderated air rifle. But they're next to useless at anything above 10 yards. A .410 is a better option if you're wanting something with more clout - but obviously they're a lot louder. Ammo for the .410 is half the price of the 9mm as well.

We had an epidemic of rats a few years back. We set a live rabbit trap near to where the cows fed. Sometimes you could have 3 or 4 at once. They were so aggressive that they would chew the barrel of the air rifle. Soon sorts them out when you pull the trigger!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk