Why is my felling lever rubbish.

porangi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rob D does a good range of peaveys or cant hooks . I know its not what you were asking but it looks to me that you ( if its you ) are pushing down on the lever . They tip the tree over much better if you lift . puts the lifting force at the outer most edge of the butt .

The certainly are a comprise. I find the diameter of the timber has a big affect on the usefulness of the hook. I'm going to reprofile mine as well and see if it works better.

Might be some mileage in making a light loop that slides on the handle, (possibly locked with a thumb screw) which would hold the hook presented to the log when needed. The hook could then be pushed into the log by the handle and with a sharp point could work much better. Mine is not here at the moment so difficult to work out what's needed but I agree they are very poor compared to a dedicated cant hook.

Ah, ok. That's not me in the picture. Just one I stole from the web.

As I said - it works great as a. Felling lever. It just slips when ever I try and use it to roll stuff but lots of suggestions have been offered so I have things to try. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers and thumbs.

Maybe sharpening , oh sorry that's another thread.

Use a block of wood or a hammer to nock the hook into solid wood.

Haha. You probably could have seen how much I rolled my eyes from the moon when my Uncle said that! The funny thing is that him and his two brothers were brought up in Africa in the 50s. My grandfather was a doctor for the overseas medical service and worked in remote hospitals and in field clinics with local tribes. At that time you had to be totally self reliant and Heath Robinson. You would therefore expect them to sharpen chains because you could not just buy another. Anyway, you don't need a complete family history!

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers and thumbs.

I got the 130cm and later the 80cm Husky bars. The 80cm are/were lighter than the Oregon ones and have a slightly thinner toe, so slot straight into the kerf. The bigger one, rarely gets used, due in main to extra carry weight, not usually needing that much leverage and needing to slightly widen the kerf's rear, just to insert it for use. It gets used for turning bigger logs more often than for felling.

Almost every time I use the 130cm for turning, having just needed to boot the hook in to gain purchase, I reconsider selling it in a favour of a Woodchuck. The 80cm is more widely used. Handy for levering, turning smaller logs, turning hung trees, breaking that last remaining strap when sectioning in muddy ground and is handy for tapping in wedges.

I know someone who bought the Oregon short bar. I tried it but found the hook not angled as good as the Husky one, it weighed a good bit more and the toe was as thick as Husky's 130cm bar; so often needed the kerf widening for insertion.

Also, are you pushing down on the bar or pulling up? More useable leverage I've found when pulling up. Unless it's a really small tree.

Edited by TGB