DVSA safe towing campaign

kevinjohnsonmbe

May be that should read my trailer only needs adjusting every 18 months because it's not loaded to full capacity.

I don't run great mileages but always loaded to near capacity and mine always need adjusting before 6 months and often replaced within two years. The other thing we are very hot on is replacing the cables on every service if the outer covering shows stone chip damage.

The cables are cheap and when they get seized the shoes stay on cook the drum shoes and bearings eventually leading to to the wheel falling off

Nope its loaded to within 200kg of its max.

However I guess that as its an older one its not designed to within an inch of its life to be able to "just" do its job.

I bet it uses the same shoes that much heavier trailer use.

I too fit new cables (and bearings tyres etc etc) well before its needed.

Also carry spare brake away cables just in case.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont get that everyone thinks that trailer makers would sell a trailer with a parking brake that only works in one direction.

They would get their ass in a sling if anyone got injured.

If you HB does not work both ways get it fixed (or stop parking on 1 in 2 hills).

Yes it can roll 12" or so whilst the lever is pushed further back by the spring or gas strut.

The amount the lever can move should always be more than the auto revers can release them by.

So why do trailer manuals say you must chock the wheel if on anything other than flat ground?

Is it legal to loop a cable/chain from the trailer to towball...is case the trailer hitch failed? Used to do this with an old trailer but someone thought it illegal.

It's not illegal but it is not classed as a secure solution. Get a plate with an eye that fastens on behind the ball or you can get one that clamps onto a swan neck.

It's not illegal but it is not classed as a secure solution. Get a plate with an eye that fastens on behind the ball or you can get one that clamps onto a swan neck.

But if the whole unit shears off? It's not going to make a blind bit of difference.

I was thinking of a chain/cable thats affixed to the trailer drawbar to somewhere secure near the towball. The chain/cable would be longer than the breakaway cable so it'd still apply the handbrake in case of towhitch failure. I just called a well known trailer maker who said they thought it illegal...but still maybe a good idea. Could also double as security to prevent the easy theft of trailer when attached to tow vehicle?

I was thinking of a chain/cable thats affixed to the trailer drawbar to somewhere secure near the towball. The chain/cable would be longer than the breakaway cable so it'd still apply the handbrake in case of towhitch failure. I just called a well known trailer maker who said they thought it illegal...but still maybe a good idea. Could also double as security to prevent the easy theft of trailer when attached to tow vehicle?

See further up the thread, I thought it illegal also but cannot find the legislation, the only thing I did see is that a secondary coupling needs to be short enough to prevent the tow hitch hitting the ground..So a security chain long enough not to interfere with the breakaway cable may be acceptable if my memory has deceived me again.

I'd stick with making sure the brakes work well and the breakaway cable because having a trailer attached to a long chain with the brakes slammed on may cause more damage to the tow vehicle.