DVSA safe towing campaign

kevinjohnsonmbe

I hae no idea about the legal aspect, was just thinking safe.

I've had a brief look and haven't found anything that says you cannot have a secondary coupling and a breakaway coupling but as you say the secondary coupling would have to be long enough not to interfere with the breakaway coupling.

Someone else may know better

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poinient reminder to me and the lads how important it's is to ensure the breakaway cable is attached properly, my son has just turned 4.

The main issue in this case was that the hand brake lever stopped the hitch from locking on to the ball.

Is it legal to loop a cable/chain from the trailer to towball...is case the trailer hitch failed? Used to do this with an old trailer but someone thought it illegal.

Secobdary couplings are legal on trailers up to 1500kg.

Above statement re how trailer brakes work isn't accurate.

On most trailers the reverse deactivation mechanism of the brakes is in the drums. The shoes pivot away from the drums in reverse, disengaging them.

The handbrake pulls on the selfsame cable as the overrun mech, so in reverse most trailer brakes don't work, neither overrun or hand.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

Trailer brakes do work in reverse as the hand brake cam pull the rod or cable more than it can be pulled by the hitch. So if your hb does not work on a reverse hill it us faulty.

Trailer brakes do work in reverse as the hand brake cam pull the rod or cable more than it can be pulled by the hitch. So if your hb does not work on a reverse hill it us faulty.

I have never owned a trailer even the new ones where the hand brake was very effective in reverse. Don't rely on it I have a feeling the hand brake is only activatining the trailing shoe.

On most trailers the reverse deactivation mechanism of the brakes is in the drums. The shoes pivot away from the drums in reverse, disengaging them.

The handbrake pulls on the selfsame cable as the overrun mech, so in reverse most trailer brakes don't work, neither overrun or hand.

Always makes me cringe when I see people un hitch caravans and push them towards a cliff using the hand brake to stop them

I am not an expert but on my trailers (ifor 3017, Gh94 and lm126) If you put the handbrake on and try and shove it backwards (I use a forklift with towbar on the forks) the wheels will not turn at all. This is with a 5t of forklift pushing. With the handbrake off you push it for a 25cm or so and then the wheels free up.

That was what I thought too. I know I had a trailer for my old tracked chipper. The handbrake was excellent when forward but once I unhitched it on a backwards slope and it ran away with itself. Ever since even with my new Ifors I always chock now if I have to unhitch on a slope.