Community speed watches

Steve Bullman

Sorry guys but I'm with Stephen here.

I live in a wee village and it's getting busier and busier. It's really old and only half the folks have got off street parking so the narrow streets are made single lane by parked cars.

I quite often walk my little uns up to the shops and I'm utterly sick of all the t**ts who hurl through the village at top speed and past us just inches away. Our house is on the main road through and next to one of the bits where it goes down to single lane because of parked cars. I'm constantly hearing the screech of brakes and skidding of 4x4s towing plant trailers and big tractors with massive ag trailers as they realise they're coming head on with someone who's coming through the single lane bit. We've had half a dozen road rage incidents over 'who's got right of way' outside the house and a couple of big hit and runs on parked cars overnight.

It's not at all unusual to be walking up the road and have someone mount the pavement to avoid an oncoming vehicle. It's bad enough when it's just you, but it goes to a whole new level when you've got your four year old holding hands with you.

I totally understand how annoying it is for non-coppers to be seen wielding a speed gun, but all these folks are trying to do it is self help in an environment where police resources are scant and traffic volumes are ever rising.

You've got to ask yourself what's more important? - arriving on time (or just driving as fast as you want) against potentially causing loss of life.

I've got to 'fess up to not being perfect - I ride a fireblade and love going fast but now being on the other side of the coin, walking my daughter up to the shops, has really brought this home to me. I quite often glare angrily at (particularly) the BMW/Audi/SUV drivers and almost always get the arrogant 'what are you staring at' kinda look back.

Boils my p**s it does.

This sounds like crass hypocrisy to me.

You went out and spent good money on a fireblade so you can burn rubber at 150+ mph. I can't see any other reason to have such a bike. If you need a bike to get from A to B get a 125. Yet you stand and stare at people that are breaking the speed limit on your street. Flabergashted.:confused1:

Don't speed , simple!

I live in a small village and people drive through it too fast all the time, fancy hitting a kid at 40mph first thing in the morning while you are running late and not concentrating!

I watch people text while speeding down past the school kids walking to school! Idiots!

Good on the community for getting together and helping out the over stretched police .

Agreed. I have been done once in 46 years of driving or thereabouts, 1973, 49 in a 30, late for work, bloody stupid. Mini did well to get to 49 though !!.

Big cars whizzing past me on a pavement at 40mpg or more in my local 30 zone are a major hazard to all. Worst are what I call pocket rockets, little Corsa size cars driven at max speed undertaking all the while, swerving in and out of traffic etc, am about to put a camera in the front on my Defender as a safety precaution. Try Coventry ring road at about 10.30pm tonight, thats where I will be, unfortunately.

A

I suspect there isn't a person with a driving license who doesn't speed occasionally.

Once you survive the first few months as a driver you tend to lose the need to prove yourself with careless speed so we all coccoon ourselves in that 'I only ever break the limit

1. when it's safe to do so and

2. when i'm unlikely to get caught.

Both are open to discussion.

There are times (particularly in my land-rover or in a fully loaded tipper when I've gone through a 30 limit, near schools/pedestrians etc. at 20 MPH yet looking back on it that was more dangerous than doing over 70 in my jag on a motorway would have been.

The strange thing with all this is that you can get done for 71 on the motorway but would 'virtually' never get done if you are under the speed limit.

It's a pity there isn't a huge army of volunteers out there reporting 'inappropriate speed' or driving style rather than just clock watching - but until someone can find a way to do that, sadly, speed is about the only criteria they can use.

Maybe we should all stop whingeing and drive carefully ALL the time, I'm sure I dont, but I hope I never hurt anyone if I do something wrong.

PS maybe driving while wearig a baseball cap should be outlawed , and there should be an offence of 'Driving like a T W A T'. All those convicted should have to take part in a stock car race at their local high speed track, the winner only loses his license for 3 years, all others for 10. Naturally all their 'motors' will be wrecked.

To hell with points, this is the only solution!

I have just been done by what I assume is a CSW. A ticket arrived this morning with a fine for £60 or £100 if not paid within 14 days.

Last Saturday I took my wife to Humberside Airport at about 9.30am.

It was raining and there was nobody around so I stopped the car on some yellow cross hatching which I assumed just meant no parking.

my wife jumped out and took her suitcase out shut the boot and headed off to the terminal grateful for not having to walk a long way from the car park in the rain. This operation was recorded by three hand held cameras and took precisely 32 seconds, I never left the drivers seat and went on through to the car park via the barrier which was only about thirty yards from the cross hatching, Of course I stopped there for a similar amount of time to retrieve the ticket.

This was a fairly officious piece of work and I would put it on a par with being fined for doing 30.5 mph in a 30 limit

In the hand luggage inspection area there were hardly any passengers and my wife was last in the line. In fact there were more officials than passengers.

I put one foot over the line to kiss her goodbye and some other officious git came over and told me to move my foot back across the line. Not a good morning!

I like the story of the Australian kids who crept up to the camera van and unscrewed the number plate then fixed it onto their car and went past flat out several times.

That is sheer class. :lol::lol::lol:

I agree.

Local guy round here got done a few years ago for burning a speed camera. But it was mostly his own fault. He got done for speeding three times by the same camera in as many months. So after being done again, he ripped it off the pole, dragged it to a local park, poured petrol over and set it alight. But he forgot about the CCTV covering the park. Other than than that and the dozen or so witnesses in the park, the plan was a goodun.

This sounds like crass hypocrisy to me.

You went out and spent good money on a fireblade so you can burn rubber at 150+ mph. I can't see any other reason to have such a bike. If you need a bike to get from A to B get a 125. Yet you stand and stare at people that are breaking the speed limit on your street. Flabergashted.:confused1:

He is obviously joking:001_smile::001_huh:

It is what it is with speeding. It is black and white no doubt but there is going over the limit and being a pr***

I usually drive over the limit and I have driven like a pr*** although I must say not in built up areas but then that isnt much of a defense.

There should be a load of these speed camera helpers on the motorway, any vehicle except a HGV doing 56 or less should be shot, also anyone driving in the middle lane for no reason should be hung.

... A ticket arrived this morning with a fine for £60 or £100 if not paid within 14 days. .....Humberside Airport

I could be wrong never having been there but wouldn't that be private property.If so then the ticket would be a civil matter & be a parking charge/surcharge rather than a fine.Who owns the airport & the land?