Rewards/ Bonus

jimmy_timber

I had £900 took out my wages one month. Road accident, damage to trailer while unloading grinder, and one other thing I can't remember, rushing to get jobs done whilst trying to babysit the most annoying little b*****d I've ever had to work with. He didn't last long after that. I just sucked it up and stopped caring how much I got done in a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I work the first breakage is free, the second you pay half and the third and any after you pay for. He takes £10 a week til it's cleared. Bit of a bone of contention with a lot of us though

Chap I used to work for used to say if it gets broke and nobody owns up it comes out of everyones wages, saws all had peoples names on trouble was it wasnt unusual to have a day off and find your saw had been taken and trashed by someone else, or that someones saw was damaged and they hadnt told the boss for fear of losing money, weeks when something did get broken or nicked and the threat of everyone paying for it was issued there was always a very obvious downturn in work ethic, much simpler way is the way we had it on YTS, "He who bends it mends it" ie if you break it you fix it, parts etc would be supplied but you stay on or come back in your own time and repair it.

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

Surely being paid full wages regardless shows that you trust them.

If that trust is broken by something other than a desperate attempt to get the work done to deadlines (set by you, the boss) then treat them like adults and warn them.

If they break stuff due to hard work then thats not their problem.

If they continue to cause what you consider to be 'careless' damage warn them again,

and follow the legal guidelines for a disciplinary procedure. Chances are a careless operative will be annoying to other members of the team anyway.

Trying to deduct the costs always seems a bit mafiosi and will have an impact on morale.

Pay them, give them the usual xmas bonus etc but let them know the limits - and stick to it. If someone is a professional pillock, then 'let them go'. If not cover your bot and be seen to offer them training, maybe re-allocate them to more minion-type tasks till they improve.

Whatever you do as an employer might one day come under the scrutiny of a smart-ass lawyer and a magistrate. Think now about what your actions might look like to them.

I assume this is Mick Dundee? A shame if so. I was enjoying the photos of his fabricating.

No Micks still here, got him shed building at the moment :thumbup1: The old boy we had here for a few years lived in and was a huge benefit, general yard duties, could sharpen a saw and kept everything tidy. Sad day when he went, I need to find a new one :)

Micks handywork on my mancave extension :thumbup:

image_zps4fjty252.jpg

image_zpsihw9tezg.jpg

Two lorry firms I know of want a down payment from new drivers of £500 and £1000 before they start their employment.

Their lorry is inspected upon return to yard and any broken mirrors, lamp clusters, dents and grazes are taken out of that, no questions, no excuses.

If they don't stump up the down payment they don't start driving, go and drive for someone else if you don't like it.

The owners like this scheme, the drivers don't.

I don't really have a solution but in Miltary training often the team takes the blame not the individual, no one likes letting teammates down (and if they do sack em!) so therefore, why not allow a sum each month (from the breakages/replacement budget) Whatever is left over is divided between the team. less breakages, mishaps and losing tools = more bonus spread between the team. There is both the incentive of a bonus and fear of letting teammates down...