Potus ???

TimberCutterDartmoor

Next POTUS?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Next POTUS?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump

Pursuing a "hard" Brexit could alienate core Conservative voters and cost the party the next general election, a group of Tory MPs has warned.

The group - which includes ex-attorney general Dominic Grieve - said "a moderate core" of Tory voters do not want the party to become "UKIP-lite".

PM Theresa May must ensure she is not "pushed" into a hard Brexit, they said.

It comes as the Lib Dems overturned a 23,015 Conservative majority to win Thursday's Richmond Park by-election.

Hard Brexit 'could cost Tories next election' - MPs - BBC News

All the ducks begin to line up..... First Corbyn breaking for cover then the Tories...

I'm almost tempted to say theres only one thing for it, a spring election to clear the air.

You really think Theresa May is going to call for a vote of no confidence in herself?

Pursuing a "hard" Brexit could alienate core Conservative voters and cost the party the next general election, a group of Tory MPs has warned.

The group - which includes ex-attorney general Dominic Grieve - said "a moderate core" of Tory voters do not want the party to become "UKIP-lite".

PM Theresa May must ensure she is not "pushed" into a hard Brexit, they said.

It comes as the Lib Dems overturned a 23,015 Conservative majority to win Thursday's Richmond Park by-election.

Hard Brexit 'could cost Tories next election' - MPs - BBC News

All the ducks begin to line up..... First Corbyn breaking for cover then the Tories...

I'm almost tempted to say theres only one thing for it, a spring election to clear the air.

I think Labour just shot your fox :biggrin::001_tt2:

I think Labour just shot your fox :biggrin::001_tt2:

All they've done is prolong the inevitable...

Theresa May has to present a plan satisfying both her lunatic fringe, and her more pragmatic remainers...

Once her plan is out, one side or the other will begin to plot her downfall...

In the meanwhile, the Lib Dems and others have time to organise their opposition...

On another front, Boris Johnson. Its struck me as odd how hardline Boris has become on Europe.. till it dawned on me he's tryin to appeal not to public sentiment but to those few thousand Conservative Members who get to vote for the next Tory Leader...

He's playin the long game....

Trouble is, by the time he gets his next chance, theirs gonna be a coalition that cuts the brexiteers feet from under them..

Having watched a biography of Lloyd George last night, presented by his great great grandson Dan Snow, dontchaknow, which revealed that;

(i) Lloyd George probably/almost certainly & disasterously lead the UK into the first World War, despite being "anti-war", because to have done otherwise would have handed the impending? election to the Tories.

And throwing the British nation and Empire into a senseless slaughter was a small price to pay to prevent that unthinkable political event.

(ii) Then wrote to his wife imploring her to prevent their 2 Sons volunteering, immediatly after making a rousing speech to encourage the young men of the country to volunteer to fight.

A complete hypocrite, so, as they say, the Libs, "they got history"

cheers

m

• 1 month later...

Cant see an election being called unless Gov can't get things through parliament. If there's an art.50 vote (as I expect) it will get through as most labour MPs will vote in favour (and presume lords - unelected - would wave it through as not wanting to overturn referendum).

Great repeal bill may be harder (in lords particularly). I think biggest problem will be getting domestic policy through- e.g. grammar schools.

Part of me thinks they'd want Corbyn in charge as long as possible - and he'd surely go after a crushing general election defeat (if the polls can ever be believed again) to be replaced by someone more threatening to tories