The cost of going bigger?

Will C

Weve been thinking of upgrading our 3.5t canter to a 5.5 or poss even 7.5t so the numbers add up a bit closer to the mark on the weigh bridge :lol:

Whats the true cost of going bigger?

I know the cost of doing my cpc and getting a operators licence but that seems fairly straight forward so i must of missed something :laugh1:

So what have i missed and how much does it realy cost to go bigger? Set up cost as well as day to day?

Also do i need to do the cpc when driving the truck doesn't earn me money only what i fill it with once im there? :confused1:

Cheers for any thoughts/help :thumbup1:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Assuming you're using the truck for arb work, you should be able to get your regular inspections down to 12 week checks. You have to have a written agreement with a recognised provider. This actually makes sense to do as it's almost as good as a regular service, especially if you have a good working relationship with the garage. A truck only has to break down once and it can cost more than the price of regular check-ups.

As we understand it, CPC only applies to professional drivers. We're not professional drivers. Driving is part of what we do to get to site. Eventually I dare say VOSA will close that particular loophole to maximise their revenue.

Any extra costs associated with running a larger vehicle are cancelled out with the advantages of capacity. I.E. not having to leave site so often to tip and less likely hood of being caught overloaded.

Go for one of the Isuzu/Mitsubishi/Nissan derivations as the chassis is much lighter and your payload will be commensurately bigger.

Our 6.2t Isuzu can carry 700kg more than our Iveco 7.0t

Weve been thinking of upgrading our 3.5t canter to a 5.5 or poss even 7.5t so the numbers add up a bit closer to the mark on the weigh bridge :lol:

I know the cost of doing my cpc and getting a operators licence but that seems fairly straight forward so i must of missed something :laugh1:

So what have i missed and how much does it realy cost to go bigger? Set up cost as well as day to day?

Also do i need to do the cpc when driving the truck doesn't earn me money only what i fill it with once im there? :confused1:

You don't need the driver CPC but not because the vehicle doesn't earn you anything, that argument is flawed. You use the vehicle to get to the job and remove waste, its therefore part of the earning money process.

You don't need a driver CPC. There is an exemption for people who aren't professional drivers (ie their job is driving).

Nothing compared to the money lost running trucks that you have outgrown. I dont know anyone that has downsized their truck or setup .

Bob

Costs are negligible compared to the increase in efficiency i supplanted my 3.5t tipper and tipping trailer with an 18t tipper and crane and it's great. They can produce some hefty bills on occasion but these are few and far between with the mileage we do in Arb.

Nothing compared to the money lost running trucks that you have outgrown. I dont know anyone that has downsized their truck or setup .

Bob

Didn't Chris Gill and Johny Walker downsize?

The biggest downside is getting drivers, the 12 weekly checks are a pain, but keeps it in good order so come MOT time (which is strict...) your less likely to get any surprises.

The biggest downside is getting drivers, the 12 weekly checks are a pain, but keeps it in good order so come MOT time (which is strict...) your less likely to get any surprises.

yes i did down size, re 12 inspection, i could ring @ short notice to get the truck inspected took half an hr ,

I'm not sure where the 12 weekly checks come from were on 8 weekly maybe not high milage but arb work is hard on vehicles.

Big vehicles big parts big money ,but the carrying capacity and last of the larger vehicle outweigh the costs in my opinion.

Tax and insurance very little difference as long as driver is over 25.