How hard is it to learn to weld?

Woodworks

• 1 year later...

Started welding when I was 12 years old with the farm stick welder & remember having ark eye ton's of times,

Spent Christmas day repairing a door on a tractor that has been ear marked for restoration, My advise is do lots of practice on scrap, have a look for some on-line guidance ( you tube is sometimes help full ) , You have ark / stick, mig , gas + tig welding & they are all different styles.

tractordoor.zip

tractordoor (1).zip

On 06/10/2016 at 00:44, Stumpy Grinder said:

It's actually not difficult with modern equipment and tutorials online.

I recently bought a cracking little Mig welder:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/135te-turbo-mig-welder/

Very easy to use and can handle pretty much any job. I've found myself fixing things that aren't even broken!:001_rolleyes:

SG

Hi, I have the same model and yes its a good piece of kit, I dont have any welding skills other than the basics but find it easy to make nice welds. I also got a bottle of Hobby Weld Argon/CO2 mix, a decent regulator and adapter to the gas feed pipe as the little bottles work out expensive long term.

https://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/

My go to YouTube guy is Chucky2009. But the content is getting better all the time, for everything. Just learned about the different properties and numerical designations of rod. Got the inverter out yesterday to modify a fire tongs that was slipping on the logs - welded some wee dabs on and ground them into "teeth" to grip the wood better. 

my lesson in how to stick weld given to me  20 plus years ago by my then boss was 'here stick this to this' .

He claimed he had taught me to weld but in reality i taught myself.After a short while i was better than him.Used to urk him no end that i could weld up a gate quicker and better than him.We would build cattle yards, fences  and troughs  in the Oz bush

Having said that if you can do a course at the local collage or tafe i would recommend it otherwise you could pickup bad practices

Edited by kimtree

These are good machines, the top two both are mig and MMA. Both of these processes it does well. They will run a spool gun for Ali and a scratch start tig for steel but I can’t comment on these as not tried. 

The customer service from rtec is second to none ?

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding-equipment/mig-welder/

if if you want one piece of kit to cover most things thrown at it they are spot on and good to use

1 hour ago, Will C said:

These are good machines, the top two both are mig and MMA. Both of these processes it does well. They will run a spool gun for Ali and a scratch start tig for steel but I can’t comment on these as not tried. 

The customer service from rtec is second to none ?

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding-equipment/mig-welder/

if if you want one piece of kit to cover most things thrown at it they are spot on and good to use

+1 for r tech welding had  my ac dc tig for 3 months now over the moon with it