Do you get paid for lunch?

Woodworks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from when I walk out the door till when I walk back in, all is written out in the quote, if I have to stay on site, theres a different price for that as well. lunch is dependant on what, and where Im cutting, but as im not in the "office", its paid at the same rate as cutting, usually 20-30 mins, cuppa and some food.

I've been in France for ten years and I very rarely have over an hour, the other guys can't understand why I get back to the job quicker.

But then again I don't like the cheeseboard or the carafe of wine or the smoking after lunch

We very rarely have over an hour either.

The 2 hour 'paid' lunch break is a total myth.

Meals eaten in the worker canteens/restaurants are tax deductable and low vat but as most expat run small businesses are unable to claim costs against turnover they have little interest in eating in them.

Ty

Hourly rates with unpaid lunch seems to me to be the fairest. Almost all the trades we employ work that way. Their rate is expected to be several times higher to cover overheads such as equipment and holidays etc. Harsh words would be said if they finished at 2 o'clock and charged for a full day, but it also gives them the option of working that extra hour to finish the job.

We have just put some engineering jobs out for quotes and it's basically few companies charging OTT with the rest in a race to the bottom. Going what I have read on here in the past that seem to be the case in tree surgery. Possibly a rethink on pricing is needed?

On the face of it, charging by the hour seems to be fairest as everyone knows where they stand- for labour only this may particularly be the case and i think on long term jobs it can also be a good way. Where I have an issue with it is for jobs under a day, I know what I need to make a day to cover my costs and earn a living, if I go out to do a job by the hour with my digger, if I nail the job by 3pm the only person who is happy is the customer- for me there is no more time in the day to get to another job taking into consideration travel and loading up to eat- therefore I have not made enough in the day to cover costs. Also I spend half an hour in the yard before and after a job greasing up and loading the machine etc, I'm happy to do this 'for free' if I know I will be getting a days work but not to go and do some piddly little job for 2 hours somewhere unless it's conveniently en route to another job.

Interesting thread. I don't like to stop for long for lunch and usually round off the bill down to allow for a quick sarnie and cuppa.

I remember one woman who kept bringing cups of tea, which was very nice, but each stop for tea would involve her nattering for 45mins (no joke!). I think one tea break was well over an hour :001_huh:

Now I like a blether, but after spending half the day not actually working you feel like you can't charge for a full day, so I knocked a wee bit off, and she was delighted!

One of the difficulties with an hourly rate, or a daily rate for that matter, is the client truly understanding and appreciating what they are getting for the price.

And, just as importantly, the arborist or (insert any other related profession here), knowing the value they bring.

I generally have a discussion with a client who wants to be given an hourly or day rate to steer them towards a fixed price quote or a very good estimate within certain parameters.

There is much more to value than the price and how quickly someone can get the job done.

When I first started I worked an hourly rate, but for last 15 years or so have been on day rate, less than 4 hours is a half day, upto 6 is a short day and 8 being a full day, no deduction for breaks, if it needs an extra hour hour to finish fair enough it stays at same price, like Matthew says when out with the digger, the client doesnt see the loading, transport and unloading, washing, greasing and feeling up part of the day, never been queried on breaks, usually more moans when hedgelaying or fencing when your on metreage rates when they see you crack out a load in one day on a good rate, again they dont consider that the next day you might not get enough done to make a wage so that over the job it evens out.

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app