Yet another reccomend me a wood burner thread!

sandspider

Mate at work has had a 'Varde' stove fitted...

The 'Ovne' one I think he said...

Anyone else got one / reviews etc...??

Says it's funny to watch as it has the recirculating gas thing in it, and he watches the flames dance around the fire box 'in mid air', and not from the logs themselves....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. And you're right, it's hard to pin a stove installer down to even coming to have a look, never mind installing something! Suppose everyone and their dog wants a woodburner installed at this time of year.

Yeah I started all this back in June! Infuriating. Definitely pays to speak to people local to you to see who they have dealt with.

Mate at work has had a 'Varde' stove fitted...

The 'Ovne' one I think he said...

Anyone else got one / reviews etc...??

Says it's funny to watch as it has the recirculating gas thing in it, and he watches the flames dance around the fire box 'in mid air', and not from the logs themselves....

Mine is like that too. Once you get up to the right temperature you throttle it back and the flames come from the gases above the glowing red logs. That's when it puts most heat out.

Just had the Clearview fitted with external air feed last week. Not had the heating on since, it heats the whole house. So controllable you can throttle it back when up to temperature and it'll sit there ticking over for hours with a nice lazy flame pattern and the temperature just keeps going up and up. Early days but so far would recommend it.

Went for Golden Fire Brown colour too so something a bit different to the usual black.

[ATTACH]213077[/ATTACH]

The dogs nads! Great stove!!

sandspider, I've no expereince with a stockton 8, but have just installed a stockton 5. Its only had about 30 hours burning so far so I've lots to learn but so far I'm pleased. Its installed on a 5" flexible flue liner in an 8m chimney and draw seems very good. It seems fairly controllable although I wish i could shut it down a little more. I'm in London so have fitted the smoke control kit, this limits how much the airwash can shut. With primary shut, airwash as shut as it goes, secondary all but shut or completely shut it still has flames dancing moderately vigorously....I think it could be shut down more and still not be smoldering. I'm burning largely softwood currently, seasoned by myself for minimum of 15 months, so properly dry i think (feels it, sounds it, but not had a meter on it). Softwood burns away fairly fast but it is big enough to take a decent sized piece which can last up to an hour maybe, definitely 45 mins. It seems quite big capacity for a 5kw to me, but I only have my parents franco belge belfort (4.5kw) to compare to, its able to take much larger logs and can put heat out much more and more quickly than that. I guess the steel construction vs cast iron of the belfort helps there, and it can be radiating warmth within just a few minutes. Heat wise time will tell, its only just turning colder after all, but I don't think I'd want bigger here. I was sweating in 26C the other day with it lit as i was learning to load it more sparsely! I've a roughly 14' square lounge which is open plan onto a roughly 8' square study and a 13' square dinning room (the 3 rooms make an L-shape, stove is in the lounge which is sort of the corner of the L). I've had the doors wide open to let heat round the rest of the house and i've felt the warmth making it upstairs to the furthest bedroom.....that may change when the weather isn't so mild though.

Easy to light, i find leaving the door open a crack gives a massive draw and aids lighting.

Doesn't seem to produce much ash so far, only emptied the ashpan once after about 24 hours of burning, but this will depend on the wood burnt as much as the stove i guess.

Glass seems to stay clean well, after 30 hours the right hand side has a slight sheen of ashy deposits but is nothing more than a tint, left side is clear (I understand the airwash shuts the right side more than the left for some reason....or maybe its the smoke control kit keeps the left open more).

So far I'm happy with it, but obviously time will tell

Thanks for the detailed write up Neil, that's very useful.

I think we're going to go for two wood burners rather than one now! One in a big cold open plan kitchen, the other in the smaller and warmer living room. Top contenders are currently:

Living room: Heta inspire 45. (5kw nominal, 6.5 max)

Or Woodwarm Fireview Wildwood. (6 or 9kw nominal versions)

Kitchen: Town & Country Byland - 5kw - 14kw! Not cheap though - £1600 ish.

Or a Burley Brampton. (8kw nominal, 11.7 peak). Cheaper and well liked, though quite a few reports of glass going milky / opaque on these.

Or a bigger Woodwarm - 12 or even 16KW.

Hmm.