Ranger and Dealer woes.

PeteB

Yes, dealer conversation today was along those lines, it's plated 3.2 now, but likely to be 3.5 soon. No good it you buy it at 3.2 because it wouldn't apply retrospectively. No difference in chassis apparently, just plated like that - someone dropped a bullock there?

I'm not going to worry about lead time to deliver, just rent/lease a filler in the meantime so might well be worth hanging out for a few months and see if the plate weight changes to 3.5

Agree, Hilux looks to be at the top of the price range for the like-for-like competition.

Apparently HiLux has always been rated at 3.5 ton in Australia but it was Toyota GB who were not prepared to plate them at 3.5 for the UK market due to possible warranty issues. Their views have obviously changed now. An independant company in Gloucester have been importing them new and replating at 3.5 ton for some time.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to a Hilux dealer today. He didn’t knock the competition but did say to check the warranty details. Is the cover limited to say just the engine and gearbox? He said any fault the manufacturer was liable for (he gave the example of the electric window motor failing just inside 5 years) Toyota would replace with a new part.

As for the Hilux discounts available it is 16% (though for some reason 17% is offered through BASC) and at least some of those discounts can be obtained immediately on joining relevant organisations e.g. according to the CLA official I asked today, the discount is immediately available upon becoming a CLA member. Not bad considering 16% amounts to about £4,000.

From the conservations I’ve had my understanding is that there is a slightly disingenuous reason for Toyota selling “as a lost leader”. Lost money now maybe but they have a longer term strategy. If the newly released Hilux shoots to the top of the sales charts it will then perpetuate the “”myth”” that the Hilux is the ute to have. Or maybe it’s not a myth at least compared to the Ford Ranger tales of woe that PeteB and Woodworm report upthread?

I was talking to a Hilux dealer today. He didn’t knock the competition but did say to check the warranty details. Is the cover limited to say just the engine and gearbox? He said any fault the manufacturer was liable for (he gave the example of the electric window motor failing just inside 5 years) Toyota would replace with a new part.

As for the Hilux discounts available it is 16% (though for some reason 17% is offered through BASC) and at least some of those discounts can be obtained immediately on joining relevant organisations e.g. according to the CLA official I asked today, the discount is immediately available upon becoming a CLA member. Not bad considering 16% amounts to about £4,000.

From the conservations I’ve had my understanding is that there is a slightly disingenuous reason for Toyota selling “as a lost leader”. Lost money now maybe but they have a longer term strategy. If the newly released Hilux shoots to the top of the sales charts it will then perpetuate the “”myth”” that the Hilux is the ute to have. Or maybe it’s not a myth at least compared to the Ford Ranger tales of woe that PeteB and Woodworm report upthread?

Good point! I had that conversation too.....

Specifically asked about clutch as an example. If clutch goes after a relatively short milage, I'm given to understand that Ford for example, don't include clutch repairs. Fair enough if the driver rags the clutch, but not if it's a mechanical failure. Obviously brakes / consumables not covered.

If I understand correctly, you can't just sign up to NFU and get discount straight away, it has to be over a year or something, that's interesting that some of the others you can. 15/16/17% not to be sniffed at! We're good to go with Mole Valley discount so happy days!

Considering the other threads about VAT registration etc, if you consider the VAT

as a discount (I know, it's a stretch!) and the 16%, you're looking at 36% less than list....

Hi

Have to agree ive a 65 plate 3.2 wildtrack with 15k on now most of which have been spent dragging various ifor Williams trailers around. Compared to my previous D40 navara its a different ball game. navara was so weak low down it was a joke where as the ranger has great torque from virtually tick over and tows great, My old ZD30 patrol is only thing ive had to match it the patrol made it to 173k whether the ranger will has yet to be proven. If I was to have my doubts about anything id say the clutch may be the weakest link. As for dealer back up as far as im concerned they are all the same. The mrs has a new insignia and trying to get Vauxhall to honour the warranty is a nightmare.

Hi

Have to agree ive a 65 plate 3.2 wildtrack with 15k on now most of which have been spent dragging various ifor Williams trailers around. Compared to my previous D40 navara its a different ball game. navara was so weak low down it was a joke where as the ranger has great torque from virtually tick over and tows great, My old ZD30 patrol is only thing ive had to match it the patrol made it to 173k whether the ranger will has yet to be proven. If I was to have my doubts about anything id say the clutch may be the weakest link. As for dealer back up as far as im concerned they are all the same. The mrs has a new insignia and trying to get Vauxhall to honour the warranty is a nightmare.

Thats one thing I have never had a problem with Nissan, their customer back up is second to none, at least my dealership

you have to check what diff is in the Rangers, I know there are different ratios and the tow cap is hugely different, you need the 3.55 for towing, there are some about with an Eco diff taller ratio and they can only tow something silly like 1600 kg which is no good, trucks look the same, most are the 3.55 but there are some out there so be careful, you can check by looking on the ecat parts system or your local dealer, we run two new t6 Rangers and no had any bother upto 75k now and feel really good and strong, thinking of replacing one soon but the 7 month wait puts me off, would have to be a supercab