Ranger and Dealer woes.

PeteB

Just had test drive, spec check, delivery lead time and price meeting with Toyota.

Its looking favourite so far on all fronts except it is 3.2 tow (but that's not too critical for me)

For anyone that didn't know, Toyota have a 16% discount scheme for Mole Valley account holders!

That brings the Hilux double cab Invincible down to a very comparable price with the Ranger double cab Limited.

Just need to look at tech details now and make a decision.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had test drive, spec check, delivery lead time and price meeting with Toyota.

Its looking favourite so far on all fronts except it is 3.2 tow (but that's not too critical for me)

For anyone that didn't know, Toyota have a 16% discount scheme for Mole Valley account holders!

That brings the Hilux double cab Invincible down to a very comparable price with the Ranger double cab Limited.

Just need to look at tech details now and make a decision.

If you buy a ranger and are a member of one of the shooting or countryside organisations (BGO or something like that? ) you can get a £5k discount. Thats what my mate got off his. The membership was only £30

If it's the back, isn't that a problem with the back rather than the truck? What were the other issues?? (head in hands!)

There's a hole either side in the top on the back of it. There is water coming in through one of the back doors (of the truck) and it has failed to start twice (Electrical or computer). Even the AA, when called out by Ford couldn't sort it and abandoned it in a farmyard and took him home at about 10pm after giving up on it.

He is rightly not a happy bunny. He will probably give it one more chance but if it fails again it will be going back and rejected as 'not fit for purpose'

Yes, dealer conversation today was along those lines, it's plated 3.2 now, but likely to be 3.5 soon. No good it you buy it at 3.2 because it wouldn't apply retrospectively. No difference in chassis apparently, just plated like that - someone dropped a bullock there?

Be sure to tell the dealer it must be 3500kg towing capacity you want, and put it in writing.

When hilux's went from 2000kg to 2500kg years ago I ordered one telling the dealer I wanted a 2500kg tow, 3 weeks after getting it I thought perhaps I ought to check the plate and I had been delivered a 2000kg tow.

Several calls to dealer and 2 weeks later the truck was replaced with a new 2500kg version and an apology.

Identical trucks in every way except for the plate under the bonnet.

It seems there's a horror story for every pick-up and it seems like a game of Russian roulette! The one thing I am pretty sure of though... Whichever PU I do choose, I'm sure it won't have the same resale value after the same period as the 110.

To be fair you could apply that to almost anything, I'd almost certainly go for a Hilux if I could afford a pick-up, the only regular complaint I've heard is that they're overpriced (used) compared to everything else but are they really overpriced when you read about the problems that afflict the competition? I guess you're paying up front for reliability rather than buying a cheaper alternative and spending the difference keeping them running.

Just a thought :001_smile: