DdRT Injuries

RC0

Sorry Reg. I hope you don't think I am hijacking your thread?

If you do, just tell me to sling my hook (and I'll swing over to another tree!)

Nope. Carry on mate, cheers. I just talked none stop for 16 mins in the vid, that's enough.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been plenty examples of climbers extolling the virtues of SRT yet so few people seem to use it , a recent poll on this forum showed a very low take up . I am now 55 and only climb part time nowadays and have never had any problems with ddrt , although for many years I have used jumars and now a pantin for longer ascents ( often with help from a groundsman ) I have yet to see a real world demo / use of srt , the only times seem to be at shows etc in big open crown trees in a park like setting where the skill is all in the use of a throw bag to obtain a good anchor point ( if not already in place ) I would like to see an ivy choked western red cedar tackled for example . Also I feel the biggest wear and tear on my body has not been from climbing but all the other labouring involved in the industry . I hope to see and learn more at the APF show and am interested yet not convinced enough to spend the money and change from what I feel is a great method ( ddrt ) but happy to be proved wrong !! Obviously the gear sellers will put across a convincing tale but I would rather see it in action by someone who does it for a living on all sorts of jobs ....

Wouldn't be that hard to build....a drill motor, low geared, and a small capstan...chuck a free fall arrest cam in there somewhere. I hear they've discovered a way to prolong the lifespan of lithium batteries - Whereas now they can be recharged a thousand times, soon it will be fifty or a hundred thousand - effectively a battery for life.

Wouldn't be that hard to build....a drill motor, low geared, and a small capstan...chuck a free fall arrest cam in there somewhere. I hear they've discovered a way to prolong the lifespan of lithium batteries - Whereas now they can be recharged a thousand times, soon it will be fifty or a hundred thousand - effectively a battery for life.

Off you pop then! To the shed!

I'll trial it for you.

Millions to be made on this.

There have been plenty examples of climbers extolling the virtues of SRT yet so few people seem to use it , a recent poll on this forum showed a very low take up . I am now 55 and only climb part time nowadays and have never had any problems with ddrt , although for many years I have used jumars and now a pantin for longer ascents ( often with help from a groundsman ) I have yet to see a real world demo / use of srt , the only times seem to be at shows etc in big open crown trees in a park like setting where the skill is all in the use of a throw bag to obtain a good anchor point ( if not already in place ) I would like to see an ivy choked western red cedar tackled for example . Also I feel the biggest wear and tear on my body has not been from climbing but all the other labouring involved in the industry . I hope to see and learn more at the APF show and am interested yet not convinced enough to spend the money and change from what I feel is a great method ( ddrt ) but happy to be proved wrong !! Obviously the gear sellers will put across a convincing tale but I would rather see it in action by someone who does it for a living on all sorts of jobs ....

Here's a working video. Pruning a multi stemmed big leaf maple. I say 'working' video....not a 10 minute bell ringing climb around a pre-thineed tree. So, it's a bit stop start. But the good use of redirects, constant friction and 1:1 ratio with the foot ascender is apparent. Speaking of ascending....many of the trees we work in this particular area are well over a hundred feet, often 90 to the first limb. So, Ddrt would be painfully inefficient in this environment, to either watch or partake. Also, I have no hand in design, manufacturer or retail in any such SRT equipment: