DdRT Injuries

RC0

Jomoco, I don't think not one person had so far stated that your not doubling the force with a basal tie in ,you can though make sure that with a base tie the rope is running through a few larger forks so if the top point does break your not going to take a full on fall which is something you can't do with ddrt.

So you're saying I can't redirect my DDRT tie in point system using loops and two revolver biner's eh?

Oh but I can, three times if I want to. Been doin it for decades mate!

Jomoco

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thread off in a tangent,not unusual for arbtalkers eh.

Back to the original point that Reg made was,how switching to SRT has prevented injuries and prolonged his career.I not an SRT climber im still dickin about with DDRT but i can sympathise with Reg in a lot of ways as im no spring chicken and hip thrusting on a prussik is un ergonomical at best.

My point is the arb world is advancing quick,new ascenders,better climbing systems and mechanical devices that make our life easier getting into and working the tree.There seems to be a lot of suspicion in new methods and technology from a core of climbers who eye any mechanical device as "soft" or "poofy" which is a mindset we have to get away from.Whether its ddrt or srt i think the emphasis has to be on making it easier on the body therefore prolonging a climbers career.

This can only be achieved through education at the training stage and until youngsters coming through are educated about mechanical devices,SRT and such like we will continue to see young climbers having the same injuries as the older gentlemen amongst us.

Just my tuppence worth

I just don't get your point really.

There is always a bit of "I don't like new stuff" that's normal.

Youngsters are using srt and zigzags etc. so are older climbers, stuff is moving on and filtering into the industry just fine as far as I can see.

I don't recall anyone seriously saying that using anything apart from ddrt is poofy.

You mean I'm I'm not just a malicious ole bastid who knows not of what he speaks?

Thanks Mick!

Jomoco

You are a malicious old bastid, that's for sure:001_smile:

The vid was about work injuries because of a ddrt, and the benefits of srt in comparison (repetitive injury wise)

It's not beholden on Reg to cover other safety factors.

Thanks for bringing it up though, I'd never considered it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I keep thinking of beetle dead allepo pines with bowed main leaders n decurrent wood structure. Brittle stuff that ain't gonna bend far before breakin?

How's a base tied SRT system not inferior when dealing with certain brittle species?

Jomoco

I wouldn't use base tied srt for that scenario. I would use a wire core flipline and spikes.

Anyway we don't have any dead Aleppo pines over here.

But you do have dead decurrent growth structured trees of varying brittleness when alive or dead I trust?

Jomoco

I just don't get your point really.

There is always a bit of "I don't like new stuff" that's normal.

Youngsters are using srt and zigzags etc. so are older climbers, stuff is moving on and filtering into the industry just fine as far as I can see.

I don't recall anyone seriously saying that using anything apart from ddrt is poofy.

My point is Mick we need to get away from hip thrusting old style climbing as its inefficient and leads to injuries overtime.

(Yeah i got carried away on original post)