Would you climb it.

colwoodlandcare

Climbing is skill that needs to be practised. Going by the mewp 1st theory. Council should get pros in to climb. To tick boxes. Avoidance etc.

I prefer to climb just about any tree to ladders and man made contraptions as impressive as they are. I'm more reassured of options on the way down should it happen.

Not tested that out yet. But have come a cropper with machines and equipment a few times on terra firma.

Now hang on a minute, when you start dissin' ladders.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Off topic!

If you lads work in MEWP's do you get motion sickness?

I used to spend a lot time in them years ago, and always felt sick afterwards.

Veering about to n fro has that effect on lots of folks Eggs.

Both my boys are testers in Sony's VR gaming division, and tell me that a surprisingly high number of VR gamers require hurl buckets nearby as novices, then gradually become acclimated to the experience over time.

I've often wondered what percentage of commercial tree climbers are prone to getting seasick on the ocean?

Far less than the gen pop IMO.

Jomoco

Veering about to n fro has that effect on lots of folks Eggs.

Both my boys are testers in Sony's VR gaming division, and tell me that a surprisingly high number of VR gamers require hurl buckets nearby as novices, then gradually become acclimated to the experience over time.

I've often wondered what percentage of commercial tree climbers are prone to getting seasick on the ocean?

Far less than the gen pop IMO.

Jomoco

It's a funny one. I spend quite a bit of time on canals and rivers these days, and I get my 'sea legs' on from time to time, but don't feel sickly

Maybe it's being up in the air flapping about that used to make me feel sick?

Ah, that makes sense. Cost is not a problem in a taxpayer subsidised company.

Said with a tinge of bitterness there joe?

I take no joy in what councils do with OUR taxes,i just work there.

Truth be told id rather climb than use a mewp.

I feel safer on a rope up a tree.

Not at all mate. Interesting that you got that from what I said though.

I know a couple of ex council lads. Good guys too, and when I hear of the nice pruning jobs that the LA chose to use a MEWP on, it bewilders me.

As a climber, the bigger jobs are what we live for. To use a MEWP for what could be a great climb is beyond me.

In the domestic market it rarely flies. It's rarely much quicker than a decent climber, access is often an issue, and the added expense is often a deal breaker.

I've used a little nifty for some re pollards, to good effect, but the only times I've used a MEWP on a buggered tree where it was insisted, I've found it slower and much more risky. The last time I climbed out of the bucked and got into the tree out of sheer frustration.

Not at all mate. Interesting that you got that from what I said though.

I know a couple of ex council lads. Good guys too, and when I hear of the nice pruning jobs that the LA chose to use a MEWP on, it bewilders me.

As a climber, the bigger jobs are what we live for. To use a MEWP for what could be a great climb is beyond me.

In the domestic market it rarely flies. It's rarely much quicker than a decent climber, access is often an issue, and the added expense is often a deal breaker.

I've used a little nifty for some re pollards, to good effect, but the only times I've used a MEWP on a buggered tree where it was insisted, I've found it slower and much more risky. The last time I climbed out of the bucked and got into the tree out of sheer frustration.

Unfortunatly we dont get to say if we use mewps or not as the council deem mewps safer(working at height regs blah blah).

Shouldnt really say this but we regularly climb street trees that have been deemed mewp jobs just for productivity and a bit of fun.

It's a funny one. I spend quite a bit of time on canals and rivers these days, and I get my 'sea legs' on from time to time, but don't feel sickly

Maybe it's being up in the air flapping about that used to make me feel sick?

Sea legs? On a canal??

😂😂

Unfortunatly we dont get to say if we use mewps or not as the council deem mewps safer(working at height regs blah blah).

Shouldnt really say this but we regularly climb street trees that have been deemed mewp jobs just for productivity and a bit of fun.

Sod that mate. Get a real job. Not being funny but if climbings what you're into, a domestic firm will teach you a skill set you won't get working for the LA.

Sod that mate. Get a real job. Not being funny but if climbings what you're into, a domestic firm will teach you a skill set you won't get working for the LA.

Been subbie for couple of local firms last couple of years mate.Safe to say climbing in the real world does take your skills and productivity to a new level,although ive seen some right cowboys too.

Dunno if i could climb at that pace 4/5 days a week though-it would kill me