Would you climb it.

colwoodlandcare

So getting it Mewp was never in my consideration for this tree, but a few of the other company's I know quoted it wanted Mewps and cranes.

There is nothing directly below the canopy although the lawn can't be damaged.

This might change people's opinions but we climbed and got it down.

[ATTACH]210591[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]210592[/ATTACH]

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Colwood Land Care, Tree surgery, Sussex

Did you get any photos of the cross section of the stem at the height the Picus test was carried out?

The yellow lines on the tomogram are there to indicate potential cracks, which can exaggerate the size of the hollow/decayed area in the image.

I would be really interested to see how the cut stem and the tomogram compare.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not as such but certainly, heavily tied down with red tape. Which diminishes their performance. I have a good mate who works for the council, he's good at climbing work. He has been stressed/fed up for a long time with it. These days he isn't on the tools.

My argument is , if the climbers are kept grounded, they like athletes lose fitness, won't be as effective up there and by getting in the "pros" they absolve responsibity, leaving their team "safe" the other contractors working practise is less of responsibility.

Good for you working with lads that graft. Our local council tree lads work ethic is what the butt of council worker jokes are unfortunately. Almost to a point of disbelief. No offence to you[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

No offence taken mate,its the attitude im used too.

Unfortunatly the public opinion of all council workers is were all over paid work shy bastards,which if im being honest is true to most of the guys on the tools but there are some of us who take our job seriously,have a positive work ethic and genuinly try to make a difference out there.

If im being honest im a bit sensetive to people having a pop because im a council worker-the daily comments grind me down when were a hard working crew who take pride in our work.Our gaffer has instilled that sense of pride in us and were all keen to get on and do the job as safely as possible and too the highest standard possible.

Cheers for your comments though im sure your local authority has some guys who work hard too,its just were in the minority im afraid.

Oh dear, this could/will backfire...but hopefully not.

Earlier on someone mentioned that, in order to undertake aerial treework because you cant do what you need to from ground level (straight fell etc), you have to 'consider' the use of a MEWP first...which is technically correct.

However, aside from personal preferences, and the "use it or lose it" brigade for pro-tree climbing who do indeed have a very valid point, this is both about compliance with the Work at Height Regs...BUT, more specifically, the arboricultural industry code of practice (ICOP for Arboriculture - Tree Work at Height) an important document than you may not be aware of (copy attached.)

The document is not 'anti-tree climbing' at all but what is seeks to do is develop a framework for managers planning and organizing tree work at height so it can be done in the most safe and effective manner (see p.24, 2nd column...I think you'll like it.)

Cheers..

Paul

ICoP_TreeWorkAtHeight-090215.pdf

some of us who take our job seriously,have a positive work ethic and genuinly try to make a difference out there.

Unfortunately you're in the minority. This was the main reason I left council employment twenty odd years ago, poor management and the realisation that there was little opportunity for progression.

I think, in a lot of LA,s, there is some real forward looking management who have a real interest, rather than the time serving nuggets of old.

I think, in a lot of LA,s, there is some real forward looking management who have a real interest, rather than the time serving nuggets of old.

Tick tock, tick tock..........31 down, only 18 to go :001_rolleyes:

:blushing: That's gone right over my head

Think I'm suggesting that I regard myself (after 31 years of LA) as both a forward thinking and time serving nugget (18 years till retirement) :biggrin: