SRT: Since when?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SRT work positioning developed/evolved mainly in the US over the last 10 years. Morgan Thomson's Unicender appears 2005/6 allows up/down movement on a static line. Treebuzz members Tom Dunlap, Rich Hattier, Moss and a few others experiment with SRT work positioning from 2006 onwards, posting pics and discussing ideas mainly at Treebuzz. Kevin Bingham introduces the F8 Revolver on Treebuzz around 2008, work positioning on a single line with the idea of adding extra friction for a smooth descent, from there Bingham develops the Ropewrench, first one is made of wood (2009/10) this is when the wrench idea clicked for a lot of folk who'd been puzzled by the F8 Revolver. From there Bingham introduces the steel Ropewrench, then the ISC version appears couple years later. SRT work positioning with Ropewrench is allowed in ISA comps from 2014 onwards.

All very interesting stuff guys.

I wonder who the gifted visionary was who brought it first to Europe?

Someone who might be considered the Father of European SRT?

Probably someone quite obscure,just getting on with the job and never drawing attention to themselves.

Tom Dunlap's posts on Treebuzz prompted me to get a Unicender back in 2008, tbh working SRT forays were sporadic. It wasn't until around 2010 that I climbed/worked just SRT. It's great to see some of the kit available now. Morgan Thompson and Tom Dunlap certainly deserve a lot of credit.

I was climbing a single rope in the school gym in 1983.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I hear you pioneered the screaming Northmen single rope technique mark.

For me I can't think of anyone in Europe but certainly it was johno smith from New Zealand that inspired me to have a go and drew b for a lot of advice as I was learning.