Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 minute ago, TIMON said:

You’ve obviously come up against this suggestion before, then?!

Or more to the point, you were the poor so n so that was expected to lick them into shape!

I can sympathise emoji41.png

It's a sign of your age Ti!  xD

Those above a certain age threshold tend to hold a rose-coloured glasses view of military National Service.  

It was a means to an end in and of it's day - Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs, massed ranks of blindly obedient lemming emerging from the trenches with bolt action Lee-Enfield rifles...  

Its not a scenario that has any realistic useful output in this day and age...

• Like 1

It's a sign of your age Ti!  [emoji23]

Those above a certain age threshold tend to hold a rose-coloured glasses view of military National Service.  

It was a means to an end in and of it's day - Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs, massed ranks of blindly obedient lemming emerging from the trenches with bolt action Lee-Enfield rifles...  

Its not a scenario that has any realistic useful output in this day and age...

It was said kind of tongue in cheek [emoji57]

The scary thing is.... I actually learned to shoot with a 303.

The thing about welfare benefits is they sound a good idea but end up encouraging bad behaviour. Reward bad behaviour and end up getting more bad behaviour... How quickly would the problem of teen pregnancies disappear if single mums never got free council houses....

The present welfare system must cost a fortune to administer. If Universal Income was brought in it would save billions in the cost of civil servants giving out benefits.

3 hours ago, TIMON said:

The scary thing is.... I actually learned to shoot with a 303.

So did i...army cadets, lee enfield 303.

Quite a kick if i remember right.

At the end of the shooting we had to hold our hands up and swear an oath that we didnt nick any live rounds...

Can you imagine that nowadays lol

Edited by stihlmadasever

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

There's no place in a modern (streamlined) professional military for taking up the slack of society...

This is true, a small, well equipped, professional military is the ideal.

But national service, more widely defined, could include picking up litter, filling in potholes, chatting to people in care homes, and countless other tasks that at the moment don't get done but would unquestionably make our society better.

• Like 3

I would support the Universal Benefit scheme, with ONE proviso, each person, regardless of gender, ( & in todays gender-equal society, how else could it be), gets the set mandatory payment,

ZERO extras,

no matter how many times one chooses to get knocked up.

And make it say somewhere between 50 and 75 % of the "working mans" average wage, i.e. strip out the high earners who may distort the figures.

Perhaps there would then be fewer babies bred purely for the ensuing benefits.

Simples

Edit,

As an 8 stone waif, I shot both the SLR and the .303,

but I  was never aware of any recoil or kick,

despite dispatching the middle hundreds of rounds over a Sat/Sun.

Just a nice chipped area on the bottom left of my right spectacle lens, & they were glass lenses too.

But I never broke a lens.

Houl her tight, an she cany bite!

Again

Simples!

Edited by difflock

genuinely funny - but there are several underlying issues to the story. 

On the the one hand, it’s an example of free spirit enterprise, but on the other, the issues of 3PL inadequacies impacting on brand reputation is a lesson to all retailers!

Interesting expose on LBC yesterday exploring the impact upon the 0hrs workers left without income due to franchise owners closing shop because of no supplies from the depot. 

• Like 1