Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I wouldn't count on hundreds of years, more like decades..

If you ever get round to reading reports about coal fields or gas fields and they mention a hundred years worth of supply, be sure to take notice of the qualification.. at current rates of use..

what might last a hundred years at current rates of use, might end up being ten years if production is ramp up..

But - but - but Trump said there was a thousand year's worth of coal under N. America!! Well, who knows. The only other option if state controlled economies - in other words global communism, new world order. Don't want to go down that road, I'd rather we just kept doing what we do and when the good stuff runs out we'll transition to renewables - but on our own terms NOT the globalist's.

Its a funny thing, belief. Ive been on both sides of the issue, and when you're on the "believing in APW" side, it all looks very convincing. The scientists are honest and ernest, the data is true and good. The deniers are kooks or moral degenerates. When you finally get to the other side you realise that the scientists are just paid shills, the data is twisted out of all recognition, and it feels so good to be free. But then you realise the agenda of the alarmists...and you get depressed.

What's also interesting is that the met office spends millions of pounds and has people with hundreds of years worth of experience between them yet they still can't tell me what tomorrow's weather is going to be with much certainty[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

This is true, but people are also still dying of cancer despite years of research- it doesn't give me cause to think of their research as a hoax, as with climate scientists- if a trend is in a given direction then that is all we can go on until further EVIDENCE comes to light.

Yes, I agree. That is the root of a lot of the world's ill's. I think the finger also needs to point at nationalism here.

We in the UK are embarrasingly rich compared to most of the rest of the world's population. To relentlessly push for ever more growth and prosperity when the inevitable consequence is increased suffering in other populations is pretty gross.

Common ground....,at last!!!! I knew we'd find it sooner or later. [emoji106]

Timon.

This is true, but people are also still dying of cancer despite years of research- it doesn't give me cause to think of their research as a hoax, as with climate scientists- if a trend is in a given direction then that is all we can go on until further EVIDENCE comes to light.

The trend may we'll be going up but have they proved it would not have happened anyway?

I should add that I'm not against renewable energy etc and we could well be adding to the problem by burning stuff but are we to blame for all of it? I'm not convinced if I'm honest.

I'm with you there- it may well be a natural phenomena- or part of. I'm not sure what evidence there is to suggest it's purely co2 emmissions etc. I just think we at least have to take responsibility at this stage and if by lowering our pollution and generally not raping the earth of every last drop of fossil fuel it correlates with climate change stagnating then perhaps the sceptics can say I told you so. Easier to shut the stable door before the horse bolts rather than explain to our grandchildren why we couldn't be arsed to make an effort to change despite the evidence presented to us.

Whilst we clearly do the planet no favours at times, I often wonder if our actions pale into insignificance when compared to natural occurrences?

The huge bush fires in Australia are a natural phenomenon and probably equate to hundreds of years worth of log burning by us in the UK?

Erupting volcanoes and the gas and dust they give off?

The ice-age happened long before we had a stronghold on the planet and it is estimated that CO2 levels then were x10 what they are now!

The earth will still be here long after we are gone, no matter what we do to it.

We are effectively an insignificant species that will eventually self-destruct in what is effectively a microsecond in time compared to the life of our planet.

We will never damage our planet - just our ability to survive on it. Our biggest problem is overpopulation.

SG

The trend may we'll be going up but have they proved it would not have happened anyway?

I should add that I'm not against renewable energy etc and we could well be adding to the problem by burning stuff but are we to blame for all of it? I'm not convinced if I'm honest.

I don't think anyone is saying that we are to blame for all of it, but we are the only entities that are able to do anything about rising global temperatures.

Even if we were to suppose that global warming was almost entirely due to natural-non human factors we still have a moral duty to try and bring atmospheric carbon levels down.

Whilst we clearly do the planet no favours at times, I often wonder if our actions pale into insignificance when compared to natural occurrences?

The huge bush fires in Australia are a natural phenomenon and probably equate to hundreds of years worth of log burning by us in the UK?

Erupting volcanoes and the gas and dust they give off?

The ice-age happened long before we had a stronghold on the planet and it is estimated that CO2 levels then were x10 what they are now!

The earth will still be here long after we are gone, no matter what we do to it.

We are effectively an insignificant species that will eventually self-destruct in what is effectively a microsecond in time compared to the life of our planet.

We will never damage our planet - just our ability to survive on it. Our biggest problem is overpopulation.

SG

Your wasted grinding stumps!!