Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I've done a lot of shooting in the past, had some great days on pheasants, partridge, duck, and shot a lot of rabbits, pigeons etc around the farm. I used to do a lot of beating about 15 years back and think that well managed, responsible shooting is an important part of the countryside and provides jobs, and local income.

I cannot understand fox hunting when its been illegal for years and is a lightening conductor for all that is wrong with the countryside and one rule for them and another for us. It makes the rest of the countryside look bad and surely brings unwarranted ire against more reasonable activities. I also despise and can't understand shoots running 5 or 600 bird days, it's no more challenging than shooting a shed full of chickens and again makes everyone involved look like a gigantic bunch of dicks to anyone reasonable looking in from the outside. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Toad said:

I've done a lot of shooting in the past, had some great days on pheasants, partridge, duck, and shot a lot of rabbits, pigeons etc around the farm. I used to do a lot of beating about 15 years back and think that well managed, responsible shooting is an important part of the countryside and provides jobs, and local income.

I cannot understand fox hunting when its been illegal for years and is a lightening conductor for all that is wrong with the countryside and one rule for them and another for us. It makes the rest of the countryside look bad and surely brings unwarranted ire against more reasonable activities. I also despise and can't understand shoots running 5 or 600 bird days, it's no more challenging than shooting a shed full of chickens and again makes everyone involved look like a gigantic bunch of dicks to anyone reasonable looking in from the outside. 

I was keeper on a small ( social syndicate ) shoot . 6 days a season + a beaters day . We thought we were doing well if we shot 500 all season !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Johnsond said:

You didn’t know pistols were illegal in the UK?? 
Shooters in the UK have never been allowed automatic weapons, pre Hungerford SEMI auto full bore were legal for certain competitive disciplines. 

I remember years ago when i was a kid my dad had a few handguns for target shooting. Only one i remember seeing was a Browning Hi-Power. He had an FN FAL too, but i don't think i ever saw it.

We always thought he got into target shooting for the sport, he won a couple championships. Turns out it was after his house was broken into, he was robbed, beaten up and stabbed, so he got a 9mm "just hoping they'd come back" ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I was keeper on a small ( social syndicate ) shoot . 6 days a season + a beaters day . We thought we were doing well if we shot 500 all season !

I really enjoy that sort of shoot. Used to prefer walking with a gun to standing. Used to go beating for friends on a nice little shoot near Romsey when I was little, had a lot of fun back then.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It seems to me, the only attempted justification for (actually its a stretch to call it a justification ‘for’, but perhaps better described as an irrational fear of it being (further) restricted since there could be implications for other aspects of field sports)

A bit like saying “better not increase the sentencing for rapists, just in case the cost of a FPN speeding ticket goes up. 

Anybody got ANYTHING constructive to offer in support of this illegal activity?

Did I once say anything to justify any particular form of hunting ??, I’ve stated right from the beginning of this topic that the whole grouse/pheasant thing is not for me at all. Irrational fear ?? You think so. One thing at a time is the anti hunting mentality. 

11 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

By uneconomical I mean the sheer outlay involved to not actually even kill a fox. Compared to letting the keeper, who knows his land, knows where the foxes are, and can dispatch them any time he likes at no cost to the tax payer, deal with them.

He told me he would rather not have them on site as he has to repair damage each time, but it isn’t his land.

Local keeper here has shot 127 fox this year. No bragging or boasting that figure came from his boss. Modern technology ie thermal imaging, night vision, electronic callers and ever more accurate calibres will make the Fox ? a rare creature I fear. I wonder how many more are killed nowadays as opposed to when hunts dealt with the controlling them. Thermal at night zero chance, mounted hunt some chance ?‍♂️Anyone whom has any knowledge of how it works will tell you it’s in no way a sure thing to catch anything. 

11 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

By uneconomical I mean the sheer outlay involved to not actually even kill a fox. Compared to letting the keeper, who knows his land, knows where the foxes are, and can dispatch them any time he likes at no cost to the tax payer, deal with them.

He told me he would rather not have them on site as he has to repair damage each time, but it isn’t his land.

Local keeper here has shot 127 fox this year. No bragging or boasting that figure came from his boss. Modern technology ie thermal imaging, night vision, electronic callers and ever more accurate calibres will make the Fox ? a rare creature I fear. I wonder how many more are killed nowadays as opposed to when hunts dealt with the controlling them. Thermal at night zero chance, mounted hunt some chance ?‍♂️Anyone whom has any knowledge of how it works will tell you it’s in no way a sure thing to catch anything. 

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 21:37, The avantgardener said:

One of the Woodland Trust sites  near me at Brede had developed a problem with Boar. They escaped from Paul McCartneys place a few years ago an..... 

.... Can you blame them after that shit album of his?   K

• Haha 2