Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

14 minutes ago, Stere said:

Pirates used to raid Europe including UK for  for slaves to take back too arab Africa probably less well known slave history.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Their untold story, by Professor Rees Davies

BBC ? Was that a cornerstone of your “education?”

NEWAFRICANMAGAZINE.COM

The 25th March was commemorated as  the day  Britain officially abolished its Slave Trade in 1807. But how many recall...

15 minutes ago, Stere said:

Pirates used to raid Europe including UK for  for slaves to take back too arab Africa probably less well known slave history.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Their untold story, by Professor Rees Davies

Explaines me going brown as a berry every summer. K

Hells Bells, tis well known that Dublin was the slave trading capital of the Viking period, under Viking rule.

But indigenous tribes enslaved, not Africans(otherwise I might have inherited a bigger willy, aint life such a bitch)

Btw I ponder if the Vikings found the native American peoples too tough a nut to crack, such that they made no Viking inroads on the American continent, despite reasonable grounds for accepting that the Vikings MUST have discovered the American coastline.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, difflock said:

Hells Bells, tis well known that Dublin was the slave trading capital of the Viking period,

I worked with an irishman from Cork who looked a bit southern med/arabic. He said he'd traced his irish ancestry back to the Spanish Armada. He claimed some of those who survived the storms that sunk most of the fleet never went home but settled in UK/Ireland. Who knows? Good story tho

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sutton said:

I worked with an irishman from Cork who looked a bit southern med/arabic. He said he'd traced his irish ancestry back to the Spanish Armada. He claimed some of those who survived the storms that sunk most of the fleet never went home but settled in UK/Ireland. Who knows? Good story tho

One of our bridesmaids had a boyfriend with a well educated but distinctly Irish brogue,

when I found out his surname was Guidera(again only phonetic, apologies)

I asked where his family had blew in from, his answer was;

the Spanish Armada, some of his forebearers being washed up on the West of Ireland shoreline.

P.S.

I was considering getting my DNA analysed, out of pure curiosity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, difflock said:

One of our bridesmaids had a boyfriend with a well educated but distinctly Irish brogue,

the Spanish Armada, some of his forebearers being washed up on the West of Ireland shoreline.

P.S.

I'd save yr money - am convinced yr a mammal  ? K

• Like 3

6 hours ago, difflock said:

P.S.

WWW.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

It's been used to define and separate people for millennia. But the concept of race is not grounded in genetics.

7 minutes ago, Mark J said:
WWW.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

It's been used to define and separate people for millennia. But the concept of race is not grounded in genetics.

How come there’s only a couple of white guys who have run 100 mètres under 10 seconds and 86 black guys have done it? What’s that due to?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

How come there’s only a couple of white guys who have run 100 mètres under 10 seconds and 86 black guys have done it? What’s that due to?

Fast-twitch muscle response.

From the article " Athletic performance is also strongly influenced by the environment. Factors such as the amount of support a person receives from family and coaches, economic and other circumstances that allow one to pursue the activity, availability of resources, and a person’s relative age compared to their peers all seem to play a role in athletic excellence. A person’s environment and genes influence each other, so it can be challenging to tease apart the effects of the environment from those of genetics. For example, if a child and his or her parent excel at a sport, is that similarity due to genetic factors passed down from parent to child, to similar environmental factors, or (most likely) to a combination of the two? It is clear that both environmental and genetic factors play a part in determining athletic ability."

Edited by Mark J