Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

20 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/van-destroyed-in-driveway-blaze-1-8661097

Chip truck and chipper up in flames in Ifold near Loxwood, West Sussex.

My old stamping ground, though I hardly know any of the guys these days.

Happened at 1pm according to the article.

Wonder how that started?

That takes a bit of working out. If the fire started at the chipper it's a long way to spread to the front of the motor and vice versa. You'd kind of think that initially an electrical/fuel related fire in the engine bay would spread slowly towards the back of the vehicle because all the fuel components are at the front. But who knows? As Stubby said, what a nightmare to sort particularly being on, I'm assuming, someone else's' drive.

3 hours ago, scotspine1 said:

Obviously he had other duties to consider. 

“Mr Mackey then returned immediately to New Scotland Yard, where he carried out his responsibilities as acting commissioner; namely to lead and coordinate the strategic response across the Metropolitan police to protect London during what was an ongoing terrorist incident.”

I suppose that if the attacker had been restrained and they needed someone to sit on him, he, naturally, would have obliged.

• Like 1

Met cops can travel as much as they like around London's tubes and buses for just a small monthly fee, on and off duty.

In return for the concession they are expected to deal with shit - e.g. off duty, in civvies, without protection or radio, perhaps with their families.

Running away isn't dealing with it: running towards it is what sets cops apart from other citizens.  Guns excepted I think it's fair to say though.

Yes, he was unarmed with any official protection but with a little thought almost anything to hand can become a weapon.

Disappointing that the WW1 senior officer attitude seems to be alive and well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

That takes a bit of working out. If the fire started at the chipper it's a long way to spread to the front of the motor and vice versa. You'd kind of think that initially an electrical/fuel related fire in the engine bay would spread slowly towards the back of the vehicle because all the fuel components are at the front. But who knows? As Stubby said, what a nightmare to sort particularly being on, I'm assuming, someone else's' drive.

I was playing amateur detective as well, one thing’s for sure, I’m going to buy a couple of foam extinguishers in the very near future.

37 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

Exactly, his behaviour was disgusting, no shame. He watched one of his own men being slaughtered and did nothing. 

He's a manager at the end of the day and totally remote from hands on front line policing. The report goes on about a discussion to decide the best course of action, whereas in the real world of active policing the reaction would be to just do, no talking about it, nothing.

Realistically he probably stopped being a policeman thirty years ago when he became a manager/bean counter/HR/PR bod.