Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, Botty Cough said:

Then 94% are poor then.

Middle management jobs are £70k + for looking after say 5-6 teams of cutters .

Sales people are taking in excess of £100k .

Procurement managers are taking £150k plus if they are good.

So a couple who both have professional jobs can easily earn £200k

You clearly know of the internet but don't know how to use Google. 

• Like 1

Yup, if you bring all the kit with you then you need to be paid for that, but that is on top of your wages (might be you include all that in a single rate to the client for ease).

"I wouldn't work for less than £60k anymore" - to me that is the wages portion and not including any kit expenses.

I must move in the wrong circles. The vast majority of people I know earn less than 100k. Even combined incomes between couples. Those that do earn over that are doctors, consultants, and don't begrudge the tax they pay at all. Not surprising with the conditions they have to work under.

Id be surprised if many tree people on Arbtalk earn over 100k actually. It'd be interesting to know.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sime42 said:

I must move in the wrong circles. The vast majority of people I know earn less than 100k. Even combined incomes between couples. Those that do earn over that are doctors, consultants, and don't begrudge the tax they pay at all. Not surprising with the conditions they have to work under.

Id be surprised if many tree people on Arbtalk earn over 100k actually. It'd be interesting to know.

You obviously do. 
Contractors all over the country in different trades or disciplines. Forget Oil and Gas, construction, welding, lifting ops, aerospace engineering, IT, finance etc etc, guys who work away from home banging in 7x12hr shifts  a week, Hinckley for example 🤷‍♂️. None of these will get the belter NHS pension neither. Doctors and Consultants are the only ones you know !! Conditions 42 “ seriously” I’d say the conditions they work under are better than 99% of the workforce. To be honest the amount of 100k plus people in the NHS, Police and Civil service etc is  huge. Try the middle of the winter in the outer Hebrides living in a bunkabin and you will know what harsh conditions are. By the way everyone I know is pissed off big time about the level of taxation on hard working people in this country “ worse in Scotland “ , apart from the ones you know apparently. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

that is OK, I will forget oil and gas (UK average £50,000, Forbes), Construction (UK average 38,000 Reed), Welding ( £32,000 Reed), Lifting Ops (£38,000 Glasssdoor), Aerospace engineering (45,800 checkasalary), IT: (£44,733 statistica) and Finance (£48,197 statistica)

With the UK average salary around £34,900 (2024, Forbes) most of the people you meet will have a salary of under £100,00 and even £60,000, in fact half of them it will be under £35,000, in fact most couples will be under £60k combined salaries.

• Like 1

If the average salary is around £34/35k then more than half the workforce will be below this as those with a higher salary can have significantly higher salaries - ie the distribution is not statistically 'normal'.  Most people with salaries less than £35k are likely to be in a relatively narrow band between (say) £10k and £35k, whereas those above the average can go much higher.

The greater the disparity in pay the more skewed the distribution becomes.

For example, two people with a salary of £30k and one with a salary of £45k generate an average salary of £35k

Whereas six people with a salary of £20k plus one with a salary of £125k give the same average.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Steven P said:

that is OK, I will forget oil and gas (UK average £50,000, Forbes), Construction (UK average 38,000 Reed), Welding ( £32,000 Reed), Lifting Ops (£38,000 Glasssdoor), Aerospace engineering (45,800 checkasalary), IT: (£44,733 statistica) and Finance (£48,197 statistica)

With the UK average salary around £34,900 (2024, Forbes) most of the people you meet will have a salary of under £100,00 and even £60,000, in fact half of them it will be under £35,000, in fact most couples will be under £60k combined salaries.

23 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Do you have much real life experience rather than google and statistics?. Those numbers are crap. I don’t know anyone who does a 35-40hr week, I guess a lot depends on who you associate with in regards most people you meet. Most people I know are grafting hard and making good money, often 100k plus. Are they rich,absolutely not, what they are is hard working people who have trained themselves up and often as not sacrifice time with family etc to pull in good money. Those sacrifices unfortunately are not reflected in the brutal levels of taxation we are hit with.