Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, roboted said:

And Ships ?

You beat me to it!

WWW.HISTORIC-UK.COM

A recent popular poll placed Isambard Kingdom Brunel as the second Greatest Briton of all time. He was without doubt...

If you read all of that article Egger, right to the end, there is 1 piece of legendary history missing from the tale they tell....

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

You beat me to it!

WWW.HISTORIC-UK.COM

A recent popular poll placed Isambard Kingdom Brunel as the second Greatest Briton of all time. He was without doubt...

If you read all of that article Egger, right to the end, there is 1 piece of legendary history missing from the tale they tell....

It will have to be tomorrow if careful consideration is needed, beer and women folk have done with today.

Interesting.....

It seems to have become even more prevalent of late.  Over the last couple of days I’d actually started watching TV ads - not out of interest in the products - but rather to assess ‘diversity’ of representation. 

Try it and see what conclusions you draw. 

There is a noticeable imbalance when comparing BAME representation in TV advertising to that which I see all around me. 

On the one hand, it is apparent that it is very rare to see a TV advert WITHOUT BAME representation, but my lived experience is that I could literally go weeks / months without actually seeing any. 

If Breitbart is unpalatable, it’s also in the Times and featured on BBC Politics Live - just for balance. 

The figures are clear enough, there is an OVER representation of certain groups in relation to national demographic. 

WWW.BREITBART.COM

A survey of the TV industry found that, contrary to popular belief among "woke" commentators, gays and minorities are...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Interesting.....

It seems to have become even more prevalent of late.  Over the last couple of days I’d actually started watching TV ads - not out of interest in the products - but rather to assess ‘diversity’ of representation. 

There is a noticeable imbalance when comparing BAME representation in TV advertising to that which I see all around me. 

On the one hand, it is apparent that it is very rare to see a TV advert WITHOUT BAME representation, but my lived experience is that I could literally go weeks / months without actually seeing any. 

If Breitbart is unpalatable, it’s also in the Times and featured on BBC Politics Live - just for balance. 

The figures are clear enough, there is an OVER representation of certain groups in relation to national demographic. 

WWW.BREITBART.COM

A survey of the TV industry found that, contrary to popular belief among "woke" commentators, gays and minorities are...

It does make interesting reading, but is there really an issue with overrepresentation of minorities (is it a problem if there is overrepresentation) ?

If minorities aren't overrepresented then it would (as in the past) seem like the token individuals being included. 

Where we live in the country will also determine how we view this in terms of representing what we know. Living in the South West there are relatively small numbers of BAME individuals so many programmes are unrepresentative of what I see around me, but even with overrepresentation on a national level there would be people around the country who would feel that the levels quoted in the article were underrepresenting groups that they see around them. 

I would argue that in all likelihood over the last half a century minorities have generally been underrepresented on screen in particular and many minorities were probably underrepresented behind the scenes too. Considering this overrepresentation at this time could be a good thing for the general population, raising the profile and importance of BAME people in the country as a whole.  Its also considered to be very important for minorities to be visible in all areas of society so that children and adults  from those minorities see "people like them" in different roles. This is considered by many to be very helpful in improving ambitions and motivations where others from their communities are not seen to be good role models and help towards breaking cycles of crime, antisocial behaviour etc. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Interesting.....

WWW.BREITBART.COM

Adverts, Amazon. The Beeb, Netflix, you name it. All press the right buttons and raise the right flags to keep the vocal minority happy. 

Hopefully the line ''get woke go broke'' actually pans out. I try my best to avoid these shows and if its an advert the products they are trying to flog. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Youngstu said:

It does make interesting reading, but is there really an issue with overrepresentation of minorities (is it a problem if there is overrepresentation) ?

I would contend that it is a problem, yes, since it is an deliberate misrepresentation of reality based upon a social ideology propagated by unregulated political agenda.   

If minorities aren't overrepresented then it would (as in the past) seem like the token individuals being included. 

I prefer the words of Martin Luther King Jr: "...I look to a day when people will not be judged by the colour of their skin, but by the content of their character..."

Where we live in the country will also determine how we view this in terms of representing what we know.

By your own logic then, where BAME are at or above the majority, it there should be a dominance of non BAME representation in the media - you see how your own logic starts to fall apart?

Living in the South West there are relatively small numbers of BAME individuals so many programmes are unrepresentative of what I see around me, but even with overrepresentation on a national level there would be people around the country who would feel that the levels quoted in the article were underrepresenting groups that they see around them. 

See above...

I would argue that in all likelihood over the last half a century minorities have generally been underrepresented on screen in particular and many minorities were probably underrepresented behind the scenes too. Considering this overrepresentation at this time could be a good thing for the general population, raising the profile and importance of BAME people in the country as a whole. 

I'd suggest "artificially" raising the profile of any minority group simply on the basis that they cling to a minority group identity is inappropriate.  It results in the promotion beyond capability / suitability of candidates that may not be the best equipped for any particular role simply on the basis of their ethnicity - the antithesis of MLK's 'dream.'

Its also considered to be very important for minorities to be visible in all areas of society so that children and adults  from those minorities see "people like them" in different roles.

To the exclusion of others?  Mmm.

This is considered by many to be very helpful in improving ambitions and motivations where others from their communities are not seen to be good role models and help towards breaking cycles of crime, antisocial behaviour etc. 

Are you subscribing to racial / ethnic stereotypes?

Are you a LA employee Stu?  Your post looks like it could have come straight out of a woke corporate HR manual....

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I would contend that it is a problem, yes, since it is an deliberate misrepresentation of reality based upon a social ideology propagated by unregulated political agenda.   

I prefer the words of Martin Luther King Jr: "...I look to a day when people will not be judged by the colour of their skin, but by the content of their character..."

By your own logic then, where BAME are at or above the majority, it there should be a dominance of non BAME representation in the media - you see how your own logic starts to fall apart?

See above...

I'd suggest "artificially" raising the profile of any minority group simply on the basis that they cling to a minority group identity is inappropriate.  It results in the promotion beyond capability / suitability of candidates that may not be the best equipped for any particular role simply on the basis of their ethnicity - the antithesis of MLK's 'dream.'

To the exclusion of others?  Mmm.

Are you subscribing to racial / ethnic stereotypes?

Are you a LA employee Stu?  Your post looks like it could have come straight out of a woke corporate HR manual....

I had a feeling that you wouldn't agree with my points of view on this!

Some people feel that their own "group" should be represented the most or the best no matter what, others feel that everyone who is a member of a society should be represented. Unfortunately representation won't always be able to fit with the local or national figures.

If BAME people make up 15% of the national population and that was represented in a given tv programme, that equates to 3 people in a cast of 20. Given that there are people from several different (visually identifiable?!) ethnic groups in that 15% so who do we choose to include?

If the programme is based in a large city are the producers allowed to have an ethnic make up that is similar to the place it is based (maybe 50%)?  Or if it's based in a rural part of the country can they choose to not include any people from other ethnic groups if that's typical of the population make up there? Should the TV channel have to tot up all of the people of different ethnic groups across all of there schedule to check that it is representative of the whole population? or should it be representative of the populations that most of the country live in, or representative of the populations of the greater area of the country? Each would have a very different figure. 

With regards to "subscribing to racial/ethnic stereotypes", there are massive issues associated with social problems in particular sections of our society (not just related to race) in terms of qualifications, employment, crime without real, positive intervention in terms of education, training, mentors, role models etc those issues continue and if anything get worse which has an effect on all of those in the surrounding society

No I don't work for the LA, just keener than some to live in a diverse country where everyone can feel represented no matter where their family are considered to originate from. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Khriss said:
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Divers attempting to defuse the massive bomb in a canal were outside the danger zone and unharmed.

Thought they had all gone off -  they have now  ?  K

Loads around the coast and onshore all over Europe K.

lot of money being made clearing the cable routes and actual piling/ jack up leg locations etc etc of any potential UXO hazards for wind farms. 

Im not an ex clearance guy but I’ve done a few approaches to confirm targets in poor viz with a hand held magnetometer and I’ll be honest it does make your arse twitch a bit. Most turned out to be scrap but 1 was a 250KG WW2 German jobbie out in Liverpool bay. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 4