Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

https://www.civilwar.org/learn/primary-sources/declaration-causes-seceding-states

You understand it wrong.

Read the above link which shows the reasons the individual states wanted to secede. Slavery is the first thing mentioned in most of them.

(thanks to Kevin Bingham)

There were many articles of secession, different greivences, different states. Slavery was one, more of an issue for some states than others. Historians disagree to what extent slavery weighed, most Americans, when polled, feel the states rights issue was more of a factor than slavery. At this stage it's all academic anyway, people will believe whatever narrative they want... 

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

It seems many monuments are being removed in the USA, mainly overnight with contractors being guarded by the police.

People are getting sick of the far right.

I don't think matewithhimself realises what damage the likes of him are doing.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't care.

It seems many monuments are being removed in the USA, mainly overnight with contractors being guarded by the police.

I don't think matewithhimself realises what damage the likes of him are doing.

I'll hazard a guess the fear isn't the far right but the antics of the far left.. its those who seem intent on provoking the right by the removal of historical monuments..

The thing is people have legitimate concerns then people like you shout them down by calling them "Nazi", "racist" or "far right".

You really think people shouldn't be concerned when century old statues are torn down? Is following the example of Islamic State and the Taliban really something you're happy with?Maybe I should go to your village and tear down your local war memorial? After all the only purpose of it is to celebrate killing Germans?

How about the Coliseum in Rome? It was built with slave labour and tens of thousands of slaves and Christians were killed there. Using your logic we should tear it down as it celebrates slavery.

Tbh, the only good thing from this whole sorry mess is that people can see how much the media lies to them. It's obvious that both sides at Charleston are violent. Yet the BBC and assorted world leaders criticise Trump for saying it.

53 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't care.

I think most of us here want to build a better society. We differ as to the best way to do it.

Obviously you and others thinking tearing down statues is the way to go. However that reminds me a little too much of book burning.

29 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Yes, to own slaves! That's what It says in the declaration of secession. 

But, considering 95% of the Souths population  didn't own slaves, why would they fight to defend slave owners?..

Because the population believed it was for them to say when slavery should be abolished..

or put another way, it was their right to say what laws they had, and not for the someone else to supplant their right to enact legislation..

its like these protesters from the alt right, they have a right to protest, and they have a right to be protected when they do protest.. But what the alt left fails to get is that right is protected in the constitution..  The alt left are the real villains in that regards..

We voted for Brexit partly on account of the same thing did we not?..  we want to have our own laws set by our own legislators..

If you attend protests called 'unite the right' carrying Nazi flags and give Nazi salutes I think you can be classed as a Nazi.

The diffence between me and you, matelot is I don't try to defend the far left, while you do try to defend the far right.

anyone who can't see what you are would have to be blind.

Edited by eggsarascal