Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

7 hours ago, GarethM said:

Nuclear power is natural, just remember every piece of lead was once a glowing ball of radioactive death.

Time and decay left it harmless.

Whilst I would agree that the understanding and being able to control of the building blocks of Nature will likely be fundamental to our future, if we have a future...

I'd have to say that our infantile use of a technology which we barely understand, inside the closed system that is our biosphere is reckless beyond belief and will almost without doubt be our undoing.. and will expose the same fate to every other living creature on the planet..🙄

Edited by Macpherson
  • Like 1

WWW-THESCOTTISHSUN-CO-UK.CDN.AMPPROJECT.ORG

SCOTS won’t be able to get back their 20p under the controversial new deposit-return scheme if a...

Another SNP belter, sadly the grip the two green lunatics have over the SNP ( basically two made up ministerial posts that give the SNP a parliamentary majority) is totally out of all proportion to the tiny handful of fools who vote for Slater and that deviant Harvey. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Confused 1

Whilst I agree somewhat, I've worked and built machinery for the NDA & Magnox and even been in a few power stations.

So have spent a lot of time reading about most things nuclear as it became something of a subject of intrigue.

Definitely agree about the MSM and the bull about fossil fuel, nothing wrong with living frugally tho and striving to use less or more efficiently.

I choose to not listen to the daily tripe, you'll feel better for not listening to the hyped up doom mongering 🙂.

• Like 1

You can have as much UK produced fruit, veg and salad as you want. The problem is that you hae to pay for it and the supermarkets won't. Their entire policy is to set the price as low as possible and keep it there, if that means the growers have to produce at a loss that is their problem. Obviously the growers can't continue to produce at a loss so stop doing so. No produce means no supply.

I am convinced that the economic pressures on many things in this country are not going to mean you have to pay more for it but it will mean you just can't have it at all. Too much downward pressure on price just means it is too uneconomical to bother producing. There are plenty of UK glasshouses standing empty for this very reason and orchards being ripped out too.

My trade is fruit and veg growing, I jacked in 4 years ago for these reasons. It makes no business sense whatsoever to be a primary food producer in this country, fruit and veg have practically gone and it will be livestock next.

Farmers just want to farm, you pay them enough so they can have some profit and you can have fruit, veg and salad coming out of your ears. The ability and willingness is there it just needs paying for.

• Like 8

Generally refused to deal with any supermarkets as they are nothing but twisters.

Was supplying wholesale markets but as they supplied the greengrocers that the supermarkets put out of business even the wholesale market disappeared. 

I still grow and produce on a small scale because I enjoy it. I have top uality stuff and people want it so no trouble selling and no advertising needed.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, daveatdave said:

yes, nothing left to heat them if they shut Drax the greenhouses may shut as well as it will be too expensive to heat them. 

A long time ago much was made of tomato growing using waste heat from Tolimore (spelling?) distillery.

My guess is cheap air transport put paid to growing vegetables under glass.

Back in the 70s New Scientist proposed converting redundant supertankers to grow tomatoes with a constantly rotating rack system, planting up here then cruising to the equator till ripening started and returning home.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

My guess is cheap air transport put paid to growing vegetables under glass.

I'd say it was the EU subsidising road network improvements, particularly the ones between Spain and here. Once that was improved the floodgates were open to produce that was so much easier to grow in Spain than here. We always had to compete with them but their produce was ruined by time it got here on the old road network.

We can and do still produce plenty of salad crops in this country and you could have them at this time of year too. The energy prices rocketed and supermarkets refused to up their prices so the growers simply didn't plant the crop, why would they.

On the continent the supermarkets adjust their prices according to supply and demand as most normal workplaces do, UK supermarkets are so inflexible any shortages be it salad crops or fresh eggs are entirely their fault.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1