Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

They said yesterday it was 90% voted in favour with a turnout of 50% at one union.

I'd love a breakdown of that 50% by age, as most of those I trained with briefly before escaping back to industry had never had a real job in their lives.

I will also say they do a lot of paperwork hours, so I'm not totally against them but your union should be doing something about that as apposed to strikes.

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:
APPLE.NEWS

Union figures ignore the value of generous defined benefit pensions

Whilst I understand may of the grievances I do wonder if a spell of self employment would be an eye opener for many of the huge pubic sector workforce. 

Turning it round, I imagine a spell teaching in a state school would be a real eye opener for many self-employed. My wife teaches primary and is regularly punched, sworn at and has even had one kid threaten to cut her head off (not quite sure how a 7 year old would manage that but still). She does 8-6 Mon-Fri and still has to work at home regularly. Working conditions are fairly shite and this is an ok school.

On the face of it, the salary is ok after you've done a decent bit of time but when you factor in hours worked it's not so great. As for the pension and deferred wages slant, I guess 'experts' can massage the figures to support a point of view but I'd only describe the teacher's pension as 'ok'. If you can stand a full career at it then you'll be ready for the knacker's yard by the time you're eligible to claim it.

I wouldn't go into teaching that's for sure.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Turning it round, I imagine a spell teaching in a state school would be a real eye opener for many self-employed. My wife teaches primary and is regularly punched, sworn at and has even had one kid threaten to cut her head off (not quite sure how a 7 year old would manage that but still). She does 8-6 Mon-Fri and still has to work at home regularly. Working conditions are fairly shite and this is an ok school.

On the face of it, the salary is ok after you've done a decent bit of time but when you factor in hours worked it's not so great. As for the pension and deferred wages slant, I guess 'experts' can massage the figures to support a point of view but I'd only describe the teacher's pension as 'ok'. If you can stand a full career at it then you'll be ready for the knacker's yard by the time you're eligible to claim it.

I wouldn't go into teaching that's for sure.

In the current soft woke excuse for everything world we live in no i would not want to be a teacher under any circumstances. I’d love to be looking  at a good pension at the end of my time though. There are some very well looked after people in the public sector in general but you makes your choices as they say. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Mark J said:
NEWS.SKY.COM

After once having ambitions to place the UK at the "helm of a global green industrial revolution"...

This doesn't bode well for UK electric vehicle manufacturing. 

Shame for the north east and cambios in particular Mark. Blyth port is doing ok as a staging point for the wind farms but still only a tiny drop of what it should be. Crazy we can blow billions on a farce like covid yet can not put a long term half sensible strategy in place  covering a multitude of different areas of industry that are undoubtedly crucial to our future as a nation. 

Edited by Johnsond

35 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

This surely has to be best sub heading of the year contender 

AB240E5F-23E0-4450-80D9-E263BC53DB2B.jpeg

You seen the video of the Pfizer CEO being collared by some journalists at Davos ??. You’d have to be literally off your head  to take any of these boosters in my humble opinion. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2

He has been right a lot of the time, I'm more wondering what's really going on.

Arden has announced she's stepping down, Trudeau will probably be next. The real question is what they do next!. Blair already has his eyes on the Wef instead of uncle Klas the bond villain.

And no that's not moonbat, a young PM doesn't just go I'm outta here without a plan. Hated she might be but there is a till ringing somewhere.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1