Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

3 hours ago, Macpherson said:

To me this is only the start of the onslaught of severe tech overreach in our homes where private companies have the ability [ with government say so ] to monitor, control and ultimately cut off our energy supply from afar.

I assume that I'm not the only one being badgered to take a ' smart ' meter with all the convenience and childish attributes that it comes with..

whereas in reality the whole push for these things is about control.

The actual end game of this atm as far as I can tell, is to read the meter every 1/2 hour with constantly changing tariffs where we will be 'educated' via pricing to use energy when 'they' want us to.... ie the cheapest time to cook yer dinner or do the washing may be 3 in the morning !

As an individual growing up I always looked forward the the onset and application of the latest science and technology in the belief that it would improve life for everyone, but  [ as it now turns out ] it seems that all that's actually happening is that any real innovation gets stifled and big tech is more and more able to have our short and curly's in a strangle hold.... whilst at the spewing out the message that it's for our own advantage or safety👎

I have had a smart meter for about 3 years now and not noticed any real difference . Still pay by direct debit and not been contacted at all since it was installed . Saves me reading the meter and that's about it .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I have had a smart meter for about 3 years now and not noticed any real difference .

There is no difference unless one chooses to go on one of the tariffs which charge different rates depending on time of use except they could disconnect you in theory.

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Still pay by direct debit and not been contacted at all since it was installed . Saves me reading the meter and that's about it .

I expect they hold a bit of your money as credit then?

Just now, openspaceman said:

There is no difference unless one chooses to go on one of the tariffs which charge different rates depending on time of use except they could disconnect you in theory.

I expect they hold a bit of your money as credit then?

This is true but in the winter I use some of it up and in the summer I build a bit up . I won't be in dept to them though .

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Our’s is in the house. 
But there’s also this plastic thing on the outside that they put another ‘reader’ against for some reason.

I wonder if that is just a remote reader, like we have on water meters and unlike the cellphone sim based transmitters smart electricity meters use here.

I believe from what has been said on another forum that the French have less tolerance of homes drawing more than the amount of electricity the system allots for them and cuts off if it is exceeded at the consumer unit, requiring a visit to reset it.

Our system allow for diversity and should allow any house to draw 15kW but not if everyone does so at the same time. With electricity demand for car charging, heat pumps and electric cooking set to increase this is why having smart meters that can stagger these overnight loads will be necessary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

B98F9C1A-C5A4-4E36-9EAD-77E6EDD3E0B5.jpeg

Dempsey on the bite again 🤔
Keep it up with the ridicule and Moonbat get out jibes 👍they will stand you in good stead, on another topic that you personally threw many a derisory jibe out over it’s funny how the Chinese have just about said **************** it and we in the UK ain’t even bothering publishing stats anymore, mission accomplished me thinks for now. Covid !!!! what  covid, just be a good lad and pay the tab please. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Go on ...

Well not to delve into Moonbat territory but spunking that much on Smartmeters and the almost constant bombardment of advertising/propaganda to have one installed coupled with the slow but sure enforcement to have one installed including only offering the best rates if you get one installed is clearly not for our benefit is it? 

If you look at how the Energy Companies, Offcom and the Government have held us in utter contempt during the supposed Energy Crisis you’d have to be deluded to believe that installing a Smart Meter is for the Consumers benefit at all. In fact the benefits touted for installing one is the supposed savings that come with their installation is purely from your own personal monitoring of your own personal usage. 

So only time will tell how the millions upon millions invested is clawed back and how it will be used in their favour. 

• Like 4