Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

57 minutes ago, GarethM said:

So Russia has a war, EU sanctions them by buying less gas at cheap rates via a pipe.

Runs out of gas, buys very expensive gas and imports it via a tanker.

Erm, I may not have gone to the same buisness school as Gerald Ratner but that sounds like A* buisness advice.

It’s all smoke and mirrors. The EU was repeatedly warned they were making a deal with the Devil and told not to rely on Russia for energy and the EU just laughed. Well, they’re not laughing now are they?

The EU has blood on its hands, it is literally bankrolling civilian deaths in Ukraine. 

LPG contracts with Russia worth billions to keep the lights on in the EU? It’s little wonder those that mourn the U.K. leaving the EU turn a blind eye to this. Not to mention the potentially huge loss of life with the EU’s disastrous Covid Vaccine Roll out due to their pathetic  bureaucracy.

We can add these two points to the significant reasons and benefits of leaving the EU. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

Bored already. As you were 

I did not mean to come across as overly factious. I assume from your initial post you question what I wrote based on my stance on not supporting the forced uptake of an experimental vaccine for what was and essentially the common cold. And you’d somewhat have a point. 

But the rushed through and untested Covid Vaccines could have potentially benefitted the elderly and infirm. With Covid, like the cold, having a higher chance of killing people in these categories the risk/reward for taking the experimental vaccine could put the odds in favour of taking the vaccine. Hindsight has shown that to be a load of bollox as the vaccines and the boosters are all but useless. But at the time we did not know that. What we did know at the time was the vast majority of the population did not need to risk their health and far longer life expectancy taking an experimental vaccine to counter a “pandemic” with a greater than 99% survival chance. 

So yes, the bloated EU severely hindered the roll out of these vaccines to the vulnerable who at the time looked like they could have done with them asap. The U.K. on the other hand was no longer under such restrictions and could move at a far faster pace and get vaccines out ti the vulnerable in a very swift time frame potentially saving countless lives. 

What I clearly do not agree with was after all the vulnerable where administrated the vaccine they imposed it on virtually everyone. 

But say a genuine pandemic comes along like the Spanish Flu with a mortality rate in the 20-40% bracket, or even higher. The risk/reward for someone young, fit and healthy taking an untested and experimental vaccine would make far more sense. I’d most likely be at the front of the line given half a chance. And in line with my initial post regarding being outside of the EU and in the U.K. would mean that I’d most likely get that vaccine long before the EU had finished dithering. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Data from ship-tracking service ICIS LNG Edge shows that before Russia's invasion of Ukraine caused turmoil in energy markets, the UK imported 3.9bcm of LNG from the US in 2021, 26% of the UK's total LNG imports. However, over the 12 months to October 2022, the UK imported 9.7bcm of American LNG, 42% of total imports.8 Nov 2022