Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

About time the Government started publishing NHS absence statistics, with the attendant agency cover costs, and on a real time monthly basis.

Because "word is" that, at least here in NI, absence figures are currently staggering.

And how have the NHS Trusts/managers responded, by paying about 2.5 times the usual hourly rate to motivate nurses to come to their work, rather than lie off "sick" or "self isolating".

I was quoted an uplift from £16.00/hr to £40.00/hr(which may be the rate paid to the various agencies providing staff to cover for various absences)

I hope I have not wrongly repeated misinformation, but this is what I was told, very recently.

Marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

Just now, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

They were paying retired doctors a grand a day in April to work in covid wards. Even if they paid me 10 grand a day I wouldn't have went in. Your health is your wealth and the money is no use when one is dead. 😉

Retired Doctors. Let that sink in.

Highly intelligent professionals who know better than the vast majority of the inherent risks involved in Covid, who have made a good wage and most likely have a comfortable life and pension consider the risks low enough for them to accept. 

Or we have your opinion. I wonder who’s I’ll respect more? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, difflock said:

About time the Government started publishing NHS absence statistic, with the attendant agency cover costs, and on a real time monthly basis.

Because "word is" that, at least here in NI, absence figures are currently staggering.

And how have the NHS Trusts/managers responded, by paying about 2.5 times the usual hourly rate to motivate nurses to come to their work, rather than lie off "sick" or "self isolating".

I was quoted an uplift from £16.00/hr to £40.00/hr(which may be the rate paid to the various agencies providing staff to cover for various absences)

I hope I have not wrongly repeated misinformation, but this is what I was told, very recently.

Marcus

It’s still a major issue that never seems to hit headlines and an inherent flaw in the ‘cash struck NHS’ argument. 

Agency staff... How many of these ‘agency staff’ are also full time NHS employees using ‘spare’ time to coin in some extra mullah?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It’s still a major issue that never seems to hit headlines and an inherent flaw in the ‘cash struck NHS’ argument. 

Agency staff... How many of these ‘agency staff’ are also full time NHS employees using ‘spare’ time to coin in some extra mullah?

Full time, and PT, NHS staff are not allowed to do agency work, although they can work over time and most hospitals have a bank of staff willing to do this.

To be an agency staff you have to be wholly employed by the agency who negotiate your pay on your behalf, and take a hefty cut for doing so. Agency staff do get paid more than normal staff, but a large part of the difference is taken by the Agency "middlemen" ! Being an agency nurse means you don't however get a pension contribution by your employer and you are responsible for your own NI and tax. Also you go from one place to another often on a daily basis !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I dont see an issue with that. Whats wrong with working over time and if there is a need Id rather that need was filled from within the UK and not farmed out over-sea's. 

Edit; just seen Silverhooks reply.  If it where allowed see above. :D 

Edited by trigger_andy

Months ago I put a post up regarding a comment by a workmates mother whom is a consultant cardio vascular surgeon. Her take on the whole nightingale farce was that it was an utter waste of time and money. I remember getting slated by certain members on here for the comments. Anyway regarding the MSM, the coverage is absolutely relentless and predominantly negative to the point of plain and simple fear mongering. The following pics are just a 2 min screen grab session of what pops up on the phone on an hourly basis, news coverage on the TV etc is the same just COVID COVID COVID the same faces are put in front of the camera constantly and individuals like Ferguson with a track record of failure are wheeled out as though they are the ones holding all the answers, lockdown 1.2.3 etc  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ what a success eh, nearly a year and apparently we still are trying to save the NHS. 
E2E71263-2CCA-4E27-8020-98A628825A03.thumb.png.4b179d5c368200db90d5f2305cddd1ec.png
9BC34255-8930-4357-B3BA-5AC556BD50B0.thumb.png.a211f947b057e0ef3fc679d558d1e421.png
0BA22B08-F100-48C3-BAD5-0CD572FC923B.thumb.png.cc0531cdcb463c5a0e5bbb58a23fb58f.png
2927E792-12B6-4A2D-93BF-6D076E524092.thumb.png.8c8a0f9a53b79b4b04c7609b025cc931.png
E71B556C-C042-4D70-92E2-C19A52845445.thumb.png.80572674404d0138c96042118b67650e.png
3AF20D52-35CE-4CBB-AF1F-78F4A8B5BA37.thumb.png.404637ba77cec3c3cd8d947750f79fe1.png
DDB33DAB-0ED3-4583-9457-4E4E52949236.thumb.png.3bd8519cc0f38d7d549ab99e76e6f536.png
6A3D6D18-8730-429A-820D-9AA1F116AA99.thumb.png.8e0cd9290347ab342016a99874eae528.png
Covid-19, along with Climate Change is the biggest challenge facing the world at this present time. (From the perspective of the UK Brexit is the third of the top three issues. Sadly though, that is now out of our hands). Given the importance of the issue it's not really a surprise that Covid-19 is featured so heavily in "MSN" news coverage. A global pandemic is by it's very nature a negative thing, so it also comes as no surprise that the overall feeling is negative. We can't shy away from bad news and pretend that everything is rosy. I do agree to an extent; there is a bit too much time devoted to the virus. I think that some of that quota should be taken away and deployed to coverage of Climate Change issues. That is ultimately going to dwarf everything else in terms of scale and importance, for the whole world.

Regards Neil Ferguson, I don't know what your particular issue is with him, it seems to be some kind of love/hate fetish. Personally I'd always trust a scientist over a politician. Unfortunately though it is the politicians that have the power to dictate all our destinies. Currently they're not leading us down a favourable path on any one of the three top priority issues, as far as I can see.

1 hour ago, Silverhooker said:

Full time, and PT, NHS staff are not allowed to do agency work, although they can work over time and most hospitals have a bank of staff willing to do this.

To be an agency staff you have to be wholly employed by the agency who negotiate your pay on your behalf, and take a hefty cut for doing so. Agency staff do get paid more than normal staff, but a large part of the difference is taken by the Agency "middlemen" ! Being an agency nurse means you don't however get a pension contribution by your employer and you are responsible for your own NI and tax. Also you go from one place to another often on a daily basis !

Forgot to say agency also don’t get paid leave or sick pay. 

Just now, Silverhooker said:

It may have changed but agency medical staff are essentially self employed .

Its the same with the Oil Field self employed. On paper they have a great day-rate and some folk moan. But as you say, they pay their own tax and NI. There is no health insurance and no pension and no shares schemes or base salary. Once you calculate it all out the Agency staff are slightly better paid but then they have no perks or job security.