Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Err, what about Abraham? and is not the whole theme of the bible the claim that "god so loved the world that he "sacrificed" his only begotten son to redeem them" :sneaky2:

Yes Abraham on mount Moriah.

He was stopped from sacrificing Isaac at the last minute.

God provided a substitute.

A substitute..,,, you are very correct. [emoji106]

Timon.

The 'blame the Tories' thing is very tired.

I'm not a fan by any means, but they inherited a very poor position financially after Gordon 'it's all gone' Brown's Labour government.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Im not blaming the tories mate,the blame lies squarely with the people making bombs and murdering people.

My point is were on high alert,another attack and possibley more after could be imminent,are we ready to deal with these attacks?

No of course not,we cant as we dont know how where or when these attacks will take place,but we could be in a much better position if we had more police,a strong, and more robust nhs,but we havent have we.

Weve listened to tories since 2010 promise us all kinds of things and been let down or blatantly lied to.

We need to start at the people in power and hold them responsible for making the emergency responces jobs a lot harder as this attack has exposed there inadiquises.

Good evening yourself!

I like you too much to descend into another ding dong battle but I think it is worth pointing out that we live in "a very messed up world" significantly as a result of devotion to the same ancient texts that you suggest looking for the answers in.

I'd be interested on your thoughts on this also:

If you had been born in Egypt say, to Muslim parents and had no exposure to Christian teaching or philosophy, it is almost certain that after your revelation you would be worshipping the Prophet Mohammed with exactly the same fervour that you currently worship Jesus Christ.

This is not a dig, I am just genuinely interested to understand how you are so sure that your God is the dude.

I have no huge beef with Christianity other than that it makes absolutely no sense to me. I do believe it provides some cover/justification for other more troubling ideologies though such as Islam and think we would be much better off without any of them. Religions divide us and hold humanity back.

Without wanting to put words in your mouth, you may well be thinking that I have just not been lucky enough to experience the rapture of feeling God's love and that if I had I would be converted.

I am infact quite a spiritual person and have experienced bliss, and feelings of boundless love through meditation. These are very profound experiences and I can see why conditioned people who experience them feel they have been 'touched by God'. I firmly believe these people are jumping to the wrong conclusions.

In short, Jesus is the real deal because of his resurrection (and the fact that it is possible to experience his resurrection life right now and enter into a living relationship with him)

No other religion offers this.

Timon.

Religion certainly has its issues, no doubts there!

Greed is probably the biggest killer.

Islam is not part of British culture or history.

We are culturally Christian, we owe a huge debt to our Christian heritage and although we essentially live in a post Christian society we should never forget where we came from and what shaped our beliefs. We are culturally Christian if not the religiously faithful believers we used to be. We retain our Christian values although we rarely acknowledge them or reflect on their origin.

Europe used to be known as Christendom, this stood in direct opposition to the Muslim world. Islam was never part of British culture. For nearly all of our history we saw Islam as a strange snd dangerous religion.

There's an old slate Celtic cross on the Hebridean island of Islay that dates from the 7th century, it's stood there for over 1400 years. If they could ISIS would smash it to pieces with a sledgehammer tomorrow.

Don't let our country become Islamic when it clearly isn't and never was.

image.jpeg.563b934d6dbebc7d8ee442326856d788.jpeg

Mark I entirely agree with you, but they are here and here to stay. We shouldn't fight extremism with extremism. Did we not learn any lessons from from the IRA.

We did.

Their demands for their vision of Ireland were discussed around a negotiating table and an agreement was reached. After a bloody period lasting longer than my childhood, peace ensued.

Seems to be working, although I'm not daft enough to think all friction is gone.

Islamic extremism is a different animal entirely.

'What do you want?'

'The complete destruction of Western Civllisation please'.

Negotiate that one please.

The burning of infidel technology televisions which are infidel technology whilst filming it on mobile phones so they can upload the footage to Al Jazeera speaks volumes about the mindset of the people we are dealing with.

Meanwhile, every Muslim in the country is getting tarred with the same filthy brush.

It's a mess. A big mess.

And no, I don't have an answer.

I'm just a dad with 3 girls and a dog, who wants a good life.

We did.

Their demands for their vision of Ireland were discussed around a negotiating table and an agreement was reached. After a bloody period lasting longer than my childhood, peace ensued.

Seems to be working, although I'm not daft enough to think all friction is gone.

Islamic extremism is a different animal entirely.

'What do you want?'

'The complete destruction of Western Civllisation please'.

Negotiate that one please.

The burning of infidel technology televisions which are infidel technology whilst filming it on mobile phones so they can upload the footage to Al Jazeera speaks volumes about the mindset of the people we are dealing with.

Meanwhile, every Muslim in the country is getting tarred with the same filthy brush.

It's a mess. A big mess.

And no, I don't have an answer.

I'm just a dad with 3 girls and a dog, who wants a good life.

with a phone & tv ,:laugh1:

who wants a good life.

....and everyone on the planet wants that mark, therein lies a lot of the problem, everyone wants more!

Equality would be nice, not gonna happen.

Greed will always be there, and that will create conflict time and time again. The "have" and "have nots"!

....and everyone on the planet wants that mark, therein lies a lot of the problem, everyone wants more!

Equality would be nice, not gonna happen.

Greed will always be there, and that will create conflict time and time again. The "have" and "have nots"!

I don't want more.

I've got a nice family, wife, kids and mates.

That'll do me.