Battle of the Somme

csservices

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way will I forget . 19k dead on the first day I believe . Brings a lump to my throat .

Well said Stubby. It's incredulous to think that after the first day they still sent the troops over the top. Over 4910000 British dead or injured. How little the top brass must of thought of human life.

I tend to look at the first world war in a new light these days, I once looked at it like most others as a completes waste of life, and those lives lost by incompetent feckless generals..

Although I see the war itself as pointless, I see the battles and the men who fought in them in a completely different light..

Considering the deaths. If mistakes were made and no lessons were learned, then that would be a tragedy, but lessons were learned.

By wars end the use tanks planes and artillary was at such state the soldiers on the front could break through German lines like a knife through butter..

Then theres the fact that we won in the end, you wouldn't know it with all the nashing of teeth and wailing for the fallen...

I think its about time we started to look at the war in a more positive light, less about the costs, more about the result.. we won didn't we?...

Might want to look at the way we remember the fallen as well.. instead of the victims of incompetent generals. Might be better to see them as hero's who gave everything for the cause... Good men, brave men, the best men Britain ever had...

Remember them as hero's not victims.. they deserve that at least...

I think I read Private Godfrey off dads army fought in the First World War and was injured twice. I can't imagine what it must of felt having been through it and to be sent back. And still he was a mild mannered man instead of a raving loony. You got to take your hat off to that