Show your tractors

Will Cobb

18 minutes ago, JLA1990 said:

General question to tractor lovers - If you could have a bigger tractor would you? Obvs certain jobs will mean smaller is better however unlikely to be involved in small thinning jobs more site clearance, large scale mowing and habitat creation. I’d like to purchase a tractor next year and the choice is slightly bewildering! So hence the question for the above duties would you get the biggest hp you could? I’m used to alpines and John Deere 6155 but want to step up, Valtras seem to be everyone’s go to - T174 or T234. 

I normally go bigger so you're faster on the road, especially towing but it's a balancing act with economy now. Those valtras you listed are around 150k now so will cost more in depreciation and fuel. But valtras do have good gadgets. 😉

With the newer valtras the t174 up to t254 are the same tractor, just tweaked. I would always go Vario/automatic with newer tractors. Once you get used to it you won't want to go back and having the speed and PTO rpm separate is a big improvement.

Just for fun: https://showroom.valtra.com/en/t-series

Edited by gdh
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, gdh said:

I normally go bigger so you're faster on the road, especially towing but it's a balancing act with economy now. Those valtras you listed are around 150k now so will cost more in depreciation and fuel. But valtras do have good gadgets. 😉

With the newer valtras the t174 up to t254 are the same tractor, just tweaked. I would always go Vario/automatic with newer tractors. Once you get used to it you won't want to go back and having the speed and PTO rpm separate is a big improvement.

Just for fun: https://showroom.valtra.com/en/t-series

Just for fun! - that’s my Friday night sorted 🤣

Thanks for the response, appreciate the expense and will almost certainly buy used saving a little. I’m unlikely ever to sell it (within reason) as it won’t be in daily use more out for certain projects and over winter helping out with my/others clearance works. I’ve not had a go on vario as of yet but as you say separate rpm is massively advantageous for attachments I’d add attachments as required but just looking for best base machine for Timber trailer (grab aswell), mulcher, cultivator/roto.

It's hard work really on the size and power job. 

Yes I do want more power but I like the overall size (and width more importantly) of my case mx110. I can get in most placed. That is doing 135hp on shaft so maybe 150hp engine. 

I thought the 6155 deere were OK? But you want more power? 😂 lads local to me run them and have them chipped up and like them. They've just swapped an older one in for a 6185. About 130-135k though ouch!

Either way, more power for road work is always a bonus

Edited by swinny
  • Like 2

n174 with roof mount for picking up timber, small enough that it’ll sneak in to collect timber or put the heizo or 8.5 tonne winch on the back. does 57k

t234 is mostly used for pulling big trailers round or the roto which weighs 18 tonne plus the trailer and really needs the extra power

0DCDEF42-E4A4-4B1E-A501-BB20CD02B139.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, swinny said:

It's hard work really on the size and power job. 

Yes I do want more power but I like the overall size (and width more importantly) of my case mx110. I can get in most placed. That is doing 135hp on shaft so maybe 150hp engine. 

I thought the 6155 deere were OK? But you want more power? 😂 lads local to me run them and have them chipped up and like them. They've just swapped an older one in for a 6185. About 130-135k though ouch!

Either way, more power for road work is always a bonus

Ha it’s a great tractor not knocking it just don’t see them in the above applications (could be wrong but never seen one guarded up). The valtras seem to

lend themselves and everyone jumps for them to run their kit. I can’t imagine ill

undertake road work and there is no one size fits all! Talking of case, case puma 240 (what a great tractor).

4 hours ago, John Shutler said:

n174 with roof mount for picking up timber, small enough that it’ll sneak in to collect timber or put the heizo or 8.5 tonne winch on the back. does 57k

t234 is mostly used for pulling big trailers round or the roto which weighs 18 tonne plus the trailer and really needs the extra power

0DCDEF42-E4A4-4B1E-A501-BB20CD02B139.jpeg

that’s a line up! How’s the n174 performing ? Roof mount better than Jake mount in your op? silly but can you feed your heizo with the roof mount. 

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, slack ma girdle said:

I think i am going to need a bigger timber trailer,  this one looks a bit small behind my new tractor.20240103_160722.thumb.jpg.58af327277335fcc2399130539589a53.jpg

or you could just audition for a bit part in the next Clarkson, see if you can actually get it stuck

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, farmer rod said:

or you could just audition for a bit part in the next Clarkson, see if you can actually get it stuck

Strange that you said that, that the first thing everybody has said to me when they have seen it.

I didn't want such a big tractor,  but it has only done 1900 hours, and compared with everything else i looked at, it was a good deal.

• Like 2

On 15/12/2023 at 21:10, JLA1990 said:

General question to tractor lovers - If you could have a bigger tractor would you? Obvs certain jobs will mean smaller is better however unlikely to be involved in small thinning jobs more site clearance, large scale mowing and habitat creation. I’d like to purchase a tractor next year and the choice is slightly bewildering! So hence the question for the above duties would you get the biggest hp you could? I’m used to alpines and John Deere 6155 but want to step up, Valtras seem to be everyone’s go to - T174 or T234. 

Depends entirely on the work you do. A large tractor would be no use to me- 40hp is ample. Agility and hydrostatic transmission compensate a lot for less hp when it comes to nature reserve type jobs. I prefer a to use a smaller tractor for a ‘surgical’ job rather than making a mess. 

• Like 3