Show your tractors

Will Cobb

On 07/04/2020 at 16:36, william127 said:

Hase anyone got or know much about a Case1394? We have one that's been sat in our shed for a couple of years since we got it at an auction.

Fired up first turn of the key after probably a year today, engine looks and sounds surprisingly clean but I'm having a few problems,  which is why it's been sat in the shed! They are- 

1. Arms go up nicely,  but down.

2. I cant get it to rev right up, I think it's just the linkages as I've already adjusted a bit more rev into it.

3. The bonnet, how are supposed to open it, I have managed to fight it open, but now I can't get it to close, part of the tilting frame catches on the air intake. I'm sure this is me not doing it right, but it's a bit annoying!

4. What engine oil should I use, every opinion on google seems different! 

Any suggestions for any of my questions would be great, thanks.

is it a white or red tractor? And has it got a big plastic control pannel on rhs of cab or look older/basic?

There is a switch over valve between depth / height and external control which may be the problem with the lift IMPORTANT:to change it from depth to lift etc the lift lever needs to be all the way to lift so you can hear the pump working against the releif valve or you can break the selector! , if not it could be a stuck hold valve which is under the cab to the right hand side, once he cap is off a piece of dowl and a mallet usually frees them.

if it’s a red only with the plastic dash there may be a combining lever for the hyd pumps ( some tractors but not all had twin pumps) if it has twin pumps you can combine the flow to power higher flow machines or separate them to have good lift and good external so you can lift machine and work hyd services to machine at same time on the field headland. If it’s in combined mode it cause strange things with the lift. story if I’m a bit vague is 15+ years since I worked with a 94 series! 

if you change the back end oil there is a pressure filter on the rear axle but the suction side also has a (washable) screen in the bottom of the gear box that often gets forgotten and can cause probs.

this diagram/instructions may be slightly different to the controls you have depending on tractor year but the valve chest and setting should be the same:

DBTC.CO.UK

A schematic diagram of the David Brown Selectamatic Hydraulic System. Also a guide to repairs and some other useful tips. The DBTC are indebted to Mr....

the David Brown tractor club forum (all 94 series tractors are David brown just some are painted in case colours as case took over) is very good for info but don’t expect any off topic talk or banter, stiff upper lip old boy!

I can’t remember the bonnet apart from if the springs/linkage go they are a bitch to change and as a 13 year old shutting yourself fingers in it breaks them ?

he best places for parts are:

WWW.DAVIDBROWNPARTS.COM

Home page - Worldwide Parts for David Brown Tractors
WWW.BARCLEYWILLIAMS.CO.UK

Hope that’s some help, I may be able to help more with a pic of the controls to the rhs of the Seat. 

as to oil, engine is super universal tractor oil (15w30 or 40), for the back end some will tell you hi-tran (cases own oil) others will say same as the engine poss depends on year and gear box option fitted

Edited by Will C
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Will C said:

is it a white or red tractor? And has it got a big plastic control pannel on rhs of cab or look older/basic?

There is a switch over valve between depth / height and external control which may be the problem with the lift IMPORTANT:to change it from depth to lift etc the lift lever needs to be all the way to lift so you can hear the pump working against the releif valve or you can break the selector! , if not it could be a stuck hold valve which is under the cab to the right hand side, once he cap is off a piece of dowl and a mallet usually frees them.

if it’s a red only with the plastic dash there may be a combining lever for the hyd pumps ( some tractors but not all had twin pumps) if it has twin pumps you can combine the flow to power higher flow machines or separate them to have good lift and good external so you can lift machine and work hyd services to machine at same time on the field headland. If it’s in combined mode it cause strange things with the lift. story if I’m a bit vague is 15+ years since I worked with a 94 series! 

if you change the back end oil there is a pressure filter on the rear axle but the suction side also has a (washable) screen in the bottom of the gear box that often gets forgotten and can cause probs.

this diagram/instructions may be slightly different to the controls you have depending on tractor year but the valve chest and setting should be the same:

DBTC.CO.UK

A schematic diagram of the David Brown Selectamatic Hydraulic System. Also a guide to repairs and some other useful tips. The DBTC are indebted to Mr....

the David Brown tractor club forum (all 94 series tractors are David brown just some are painted in case colours as case took over) is very good for info but don’t expect any off topic talk or banter, stiff upper lip old boy!

I can’t remember the bonnet apart from if the springs/linkage go they are a bitch to change and as a 13 year old shutting yourself fingers in it breaks them ?

he best places for parts are:

WWW.DAVIDBROWNPARTS.COM

Home page - Worldwide Parts for David Brown Tractors
WWW.BARCLEYWILLIAMS.CO.UK

Hope that’s some help, I may be able to help more with a pic of the controls to the rhs of the Seat. 

as to oil, engine is super universal tractor oil (15w30 or 40), for the back end some will tell you hi-tran (cases own oil) others will say same as the engine poss depends on year and gear box option fitted

Thank you for one of the most helpful posts I've ever seen ???

It's a red one, controls are all levers on the right, so certainly seems basic compared to my old Massey 3060 with everything on toggle and rotary switches! But for a bit of logging, harrowing and topping, levers should be more reliable! 

I have the engine oil and filters in stock, so I'll do that at the weekend.

I have an operator's manual coming in the post, so with that and your post I should be able to get something done with it! 

Thanks again ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, william127 said:

Thank you for one of the most helpful posts I've ever seen ???

It's a red one, controls are all levers on the right, so certainly seems basic compared to my old Massey 3060 with everything on toggle and rotary switches! But for a bit of logging, harrowing and topping, levers should be more reliable! 

I have the engine oil and filters in stock, so I'll do that at the weekend.

I have an operator's manual coming in the post, so with that and your post I should be able to get something done with it! 

Thanks again ?

No worries, I grew up with DB tractors, give me a shout if I can help, but I have prob forgotten most of it 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_0603.jpgIMG_0612.jpgIMG_0613.jpgIMG_0628.jpgIMG_0629.jpg
None of these photos are mine , first three belong to Micheal Murray who has an amazing collection of F.C machines working in keilder from over the years and where part of an exhibition he did to commemorate 100 Years of forestry at keilder I our community.
The first county I believe belonged to joe Potts of TPH who was one of my neighbours who received an MBE for his services too forestry,he’s retired now , I could listen Joe’s story’s for hours if only he had the time ! TPH is still going and carrying his legacy of quality .. the other two county’s are FC machines I believe.
Last two photos are off are social club walls , would love to share more of Micheal’s images but I’m sure he will be having a go when I see him at the club when all this lockdown is over !

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, s o c said:

Great to see. ?

The “ falling objects protection “ in the last two photos not too good 

Its called a 'hard hat' ... ? was in the original cable logging FC manual  ' note the hard hat in the picture'  sort of infers they were not keen on wearing em back then ( 1964)  k