a mighty fine bit off reversing

Johny Walker

I used to shunt trailers into a loading bay with a knackered Ford D800. Anything over 36ft was a doddle but 28s were awkward. I also worked in a foundry where the charge was reversed in on a trailer and lifted with a crane over the vessel. The trailer was a turntable steer and it was reversed in with a rear steer fork truck and that took some getting your head round.

I couldn't be bothered to watch that jcb video. But despite what people think longer is far easier. I could reverse the double trailer fast trac rig.

I reckon the hardest thing in general to reverse is them mobile compressors you see behind 7.5t roadwork utility trucks. You can't see the thing as its so much narrower the the pulling vehicle. The short wheelbase twitches quickly as well in whatever direction.

2nd to that is the light old turntable farm bale rulleys. Get a pebble behind front tyre reversing they shift direction.

So whilst jonnys effort might not be that hard for those practised in chipper reversing. It's at the tougher end of reversing in my book.

People should spend time practicing manuvring trailers and crew should have a good communication system. To assist.

I make my wife look a better driver with a trailer than me, but on her own it's not as good. People look when I get out whilst she does the awkward reverse. It wouldn't work the other way!