Cut and chuck vs rigging.

TIMON

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you chuck the steaks in or lower them?

Ill prob use my 5/8ths polydyne rigged up with a few pulleys off the kitchen ceiling onto the portawrap mate. Might need some mechanical advantage to lift them into the pan though. Hmm

Ill prob use my 5/8ths polydyne rigged up with a few pulleys off the kitchen ceiling onto the portawrap mate. Might need some mechanical advantage to lift them into the pan though. Hmm

Wish we had stake big enough to need mechanical advantage to get it into the pan!

My cut n chuck to rigging percentages are probably 90% C n C to 10% rigged, excluding crane removals. Add them in and it jumps to 75-25 ratio.

There's an undeniable skill set involved with cut n chuck removals. Building bedding out of brush to chuck the logs down onto n such.

I became very fond of brushing small n medium removals with just my handsaw, then taking the wood down with my 200, anyone else hang their trimsaws in the tree using its pull cord and ropesnap to gain greater maneuverability and lightness brushing with your handsaw dealing with spindly skinny leaders?

I see quite a few pros using their handsaws to trigger bigwood rigging catches, without a big chainsaw in their hands when the dynamics begin.

I know I cut n chuck an awful lot of stuff that other climbers would rig.

I guess knowing when to rig or not depends on too many variables to lay down any unbreakable rules about.

Some clients don't mind a few divots in their lawns, some do.

Milkin jobs to play with your fancy toys ain't cricket in my book tho.

Jomoco

Think it has been said before on a different thread but I have found whether you rig stuff down or not depends on the ground crew or company you work for. I climb for a couple of different tree surgeons and the foreman of one tries to avoid me rigging. If I suggest rigging or zip lining to save the lawn or make it easier for the groundies he rolls his eyes and just says 'smash it down'.

I'm getting a bit more of my own work now and I'm teaching the lad who works for me to lower. He is picking it up real quick and enjoys doing it and we are getting more efficient at it so doing it more often