simonm

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you buy "duty free" Ian??

Why has everyone got all arsey about avoiding tax? anyone with half a brain will endeavour to reduce the amount of tax they pay.

Tax avoidance if perfectly legal, tax evasion however is a criminal offence.

Why has everyone got all arsey about avoiding tax? anyone with half a brain will endeavour to reduce the amount of tax they pay.

No I don't buy duty free. Depends what your take on legal tax avoidance is, ask hmrc and it will be totally different to a politicians take on it!

I ain't got all arsey about tax, we were discussing vat and running 2 businesses that's all.

Edited by Ian C

We went vat registered two years ago, and I was terrified we would loose loads of work. Makes it awkward with your repeat customers at first but most paid the increase and the new ones are none the wiser, and touch wood if you have a good client base and reputation you will still get plenty of work accepted. There however I'd no escaping the fact you will lose some jobs to non vat companies as some people will always want the cheapest job, such is life.

It's on the news. All the Hippies and Crusties think they have the moral high ground about everything.

When I first reached the vat fresh hold I had the idea of splitting in to 2 companies to avoid the vat on one of them purely to avoid loosing domestic customers. I know other local companies that did this. When I spoke to my accountant he said unless the businesses did completely different things then it would be called artificial separation which is vat avoidance and one day the vat man will catch up with you. It is so not worth the risk in my opinion and who wants the expense of 2 lots of everything!

I went vat registered and didn't loose out at all. The best bit was claiming back the vat and all our machinery. I didn't loose a single regular customer and it now makes us cheaper for commercial work as companies can claim back the vat we charge them.

I think basically if your any good you will be fine. Let's face it if your approaching the vat fresh hold you must be doing something right!